MCDST Help

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by lealaw, Dec 8, 2008.

1. lealaw

lealaw New Member

Hi guys ,

IS the MCDST cert just for people who work or intend to work in helpdesk/1st line support roles? Or , can it add further knowledge to the A+ and N+ certs? I am thinkg of taking it but dont intend to work in helpdesk/1st line support roles so dont want to waste my time if this is the case. thanks again guys :D

WIP: A+ then N+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

No, it isn't. I learnt a bit from the MCDST even though I was already working with Server's and Networks. And it will further your knowledge after the A+ & Network+.

How are you intending to get into IT Support? While there are other ways into IT, eg workshop, the chances of a company putting you to work directly on servers without level 1 (let alone level 2) experience is very low.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I would not down play a 1st line support or helpdesk role as you'd learn a lot which always comes handy in progressing to desktop support or server support. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

So you just want to skip the entry level jobs and go straight to the good stuff then? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. lealaw

lealaw New Member

Thanks for the reply Ken ,

I intend to start off with something more hands on like , PC Engineer/Support/Technician or maybe something in a school / college as a ICT tech or possibley field work. I take it the MCDST would help in these postions.

thanks again. lea

6. lealaw

lealaw New Member

I wish Sparky :biggrin

im totally up for an entry-level job, just dont fancy 1st line/helpdesk thats all. lea

7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

To be honest you might have to take *any* IT job just to get started in IT, especially with the credit crunch and all that.

Once you have some experience you do have more options though in regard to what job you want to do.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi there

i might b wrong here but im sure 1st line / helpdesk and entry level equate to roughly the same thing. i work in tech support and a MCDST comes in very handy.

if u dont want to work in 1st line / tech support then what is it u want to do?

TBH a year or 2 on 1st line or a helpdesk will give u a great grounding and excellent experience unless u wanna replace parts for a living

regards

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sorry to break it to you but that's all you'll get as an entry level job. 1st line/helpdesk is entry level.

The MCDST will help you no matter which level you're at.

You can't build the top of a pyramid without having built the foundation for it first.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I suppose a workshop job isnt out of the question, that was my first proper IT job then after about 18 months of that I went to a helpdesk job, which was much better paid and I think the experience from both of those jobs has helped me enormously in my job since then. But as its been said before any IT job is a godsend at the moment and any IT job will count toward good experience helpdesk or no.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing