MCDST Help

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by hussain786, Feb 4, 2008.

1. hussain786

hussain786 Bit Poster

Hi guys!!

I need your help!!

I want to get to do the MCDST and hopefully get a career in desktop support.

However i don’t know where i can study this and i am very unsure how it works. Am i supposed to study this alone at home and then just sit the exam or can i go to a college or centre where i can study this in a classroom?

please please can someone kindly advise me. Ive tried to look on Google but the information i get is different everywhere,

thanks guys[/I]

Certifications: BSC Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+, MCDST
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Whichever you choose. I would recommend self-study. There are plenty of books available for Microsoft exams - I typically recommend MSPress and Sybex.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

You can study for the MCDST anyway you want, you can study it through a training provider that may not supply you with the best material and charge you hundreds or thousands of pounds for or you can buy the most recommended books your self and study at home. Then take the exams when you are ready.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. hussain786

hussain786 Bit Poster

Thank you guys for your advise. it has been very useful to me.

if I do study the books myself, where will I be able to take the exams. I tried to find places using Google but it wasn't very useful.

Also will this book be good for me: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Supporting-Troubleshooting-Windows-Operating-Training/dp/0735620652

is the MCDST something which I can learn through self study because I thought it is a course which is very hands on and practical.

I want to gain this qualification as soon as possible..what would you say is the time scale for an average person.

Once again thanks for your advice. it has been very useful to me.

5. greenbrucelee

You can study at home, experience would help and you could set up a lab using a couple of old computers taht you could get from a junk shop or recycling centre. You take your exams at your nearest prometric centre vistit http://www.prometric.com/default.htm to find out where your nearest centre is, this is also where you book your exams.

BTW if you have absolutly no experience you should be doing compTIA A+ first.

6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

There are some places (Technology Colleges) that could also provide a tutor lead course for at a fraction of what some of the commercial training compaines charge. Myself and WagnerK both teach professional qualifications (like the MCDST and MCSA/E) at our local college and to give you an example, the MCDST costs about £300.00 for both the 70-271 and 70-272 (the MS MOC books) and the cost of sitting both exams as well.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. hussain786

hussain786 Bit Poster

Do u guys think I need to do compTIA A+ first. I've done a degree in Business Information Systems and im working as a Systems Support Analyst. But the system we use is in-house.

Modey can you possibly email me ([email protected]) so I can get more info. As I think I would prefer and learn faster if I go for a tutor led method.

Thanks guys

8. greenbrucelee

The A+ and N+ will help you with the MCDST if you have a decent amount of experience then getting those certs could be easy for you and it'll enhance your CV.

9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I can only speak for the place I teach at (Tresham Institute) which is based in Wellingborough (Northamptonshire). If that is within travelling distance for you I can certainly get you some info. Otherwise it would be a case of getting in touch with your local college and finding out if they provide something similar.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  10. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Another vote for self-study here, though I recommend that you start with the A+ and N+ before tackling the MCDST.

- Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  11. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

I am currently on the self study route and started with the A+. If you have no experience I would start with this first. I would have found the MCDST even tougher without what I know already.

The MCDST is made up of two exams, which you can sit at an exam provider. take a look at some of the pinned articles on the forum for more information.

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  12. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

I've been through the A+ - N+ - MCDST route.

I'd say A+ is certainly better for just getting a grounding in PCs and again N+ gives you a real feel for networking principles.

You probably can study the MCDST as long as you have a decent experience of working with XP. However if you then try to go further you will probably find your A+ & N+ very useful.

I'd say in practical terms that having A+, N+ and MCDST will assist you in real life scenarios. With just the MCDST and no experience you will probably find your knowledge to be patchy as you won't understand the full concepts and principals behind what you are doing.

Hope this helps out somewhat

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  13. grizz3210

grizz3210 Byte Poster

completely agree with gbl on this one i did both and found them great.

Certifications: A+ N+ MCTS-vista
    WIP: MCDST
  14. hussain786

hussain786 Bit Poster

Hi Guys

I was looking forward to study the MCDST but from everyone’s advice it seems as though the A+ is the better route.

Can you guys tell me how I go about doing this course.

Which books do I need to read

Where can I do the A+

How is the course structured. As in do I study a book and then just go and sit the exam.

Huge thanks guys.

15. greenbrucelee

You can do A+ at any college or training provider that does it you can also self study for it.

The two best books to get for it are compTIA A+ all in one exam guide by Mike Meyers 6th edition and PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles. You need to pass two exams look here for details http://certification.comptia.org/a/ and you book the exams the same way you would with MCDST.

16. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The A+ forum on this site will have a real wealth of information in it also. You would be well served by having a good read through the topics.

17. hussain786

hussain786 Bit Poster

I have decided to do the A+

I read allot about it thanks to everyone’s advice and it seems allot easer to understand.

Ive ordered the book compTIA A+ all in one exam guide by Mike Meyers 6th edition so this should help me.

If anyone has any tips, please do let me know.

Thanks everyone

18. hussain786

hussain786 Bit Poster

Hi Guys

From the advice I got from you guys ive decided to study for A+ before I tackle the MCDST.

I want to do the compulsory exam (A+ essentials 601) and would like to choose out of the three available the (IT technician 602) Exam

However I have been reading the recommended txt by Mike Myers and I am a little confused. There is so much to cover and I thought this was supposed to be fairly easy and quick.

I am absolutely confused to what parts of the book I am supposed to study in order for me to do the 601 and 602 exam.

The book doesn’t tell you which parts I need to cover. I don’t want to read the whole book and then in the exam not even having a question which I covered ion the book.

Please advise guys....

Thanks

19. greenbrucelee

I have already replied in you other thread about this