MCDST Exams

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by pn, Aug 24, 2004.

1. pn

pn New Member

Hi all, I am interested in taking the MCDST exams but don't want to sit through a 2 day course and then a 3 day course. Does anyone know if you can study from the books and then just register with a Microsoft Testing Centre to take the exams?

I am based in Birmingham in the UK and cannot seem to find out if this is possible.

Thanks

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Am I way wide of the mark here? I thought the MSCDST was an MCP exam. If so, then I see no reason why you cant pick up the book, do the work yourself, and then just go ahead and book, pay for and PASS the exam :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Reders

Reders Bit Poster

4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I'm going to be studying for my MCDST after I've done my Server+ I bought Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Resource Kit, Second Edition (http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/6795.asp) which was recommended to me. It's 1700 pages but covers everything you need for both of the MCDST exams.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

I was bored with the Christmans TV this year so have started my prepping for the first of my MCDST exams.

I am using the Sybex & Exam Cram books. (The Cram book appears more detailed than Sybex !!!)

Anyway, I can now install XP in about 5 different ways. So much more interesting than 'The Great Escape' & 'Star Wars'.

The Sybex book covers both exams with 5 chapters for each. Hopefully I will have the exam under my belt before January is out. I will then start on the second exam.

Keep reading & I will keep you all posted on my progress.

Certifications: <<See Below>>
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Have to agree to everyone who say that you can, did the MCDST with the Sybex book (and of course practical experience) and passed both exams first time. So "if I can do it, so can you". Good luck with your studies.

Now on to the MCSE

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. starfury6

starfury6 Nibble Poster

Jak are you saying that some Cert exams you HAVE to sit a course for?

Certifications: RHCT4, RHCT5
    WIP: SCSA
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

No m8 - I just mean the distinction between something like MCDST, which is just one exam, but a recognised cert all the same, compared to MCSA or MCSE which are combinations of individual exams. I haven't heard of any really that you have to go sit a course to do that you can't do on your on. Sorry for any confusion :)

9. starfury6

starfury6 Nibble Poster

No worries, thanks for the confirmation. I was concerned for a second. I want to study myself then sit the exams, since attending courses during current full time employment is not easy, especially with a toddler at home too!

Good stuff.

Doing MCDST first with then the idea to do MCSE bit by bit over time.

10. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Jakamoko the MCDST is 2 exams mate (70-271 & 70-272). PN to answer the question no you don't need to attend a course for the MCDST or off the top of my head any IT exam.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  11. starfury6

starfury6 Nibble Poster

I've actually elected to do 272 before I do 271 since i figured studying for the Desktop Apps exam would probably teach me more than the OS exam.

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Sorry, stand corrected - I've never really looked into the details of this cert. My apologies for any confusion, Guys. :oops: