MCDST Courses next week...

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by GiddyG, Sep 29, 2007.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

w00t!!

My employer has paid for me to go on the 2261 and 2262 courses next week. The training is with QA-IQ in Milton Keynes.

Should be good fun, with no pressure.

I have been using Windows XP for some time now, so it will be interesting to see what I don't know. At the very least, it will help me when discussing issues with our IT supplier.

I still intend to concentrate fully on A+ and Network + before taking at peek at the MCDST exams. I am hoping that the courses will actually help with the Windows OS bits of the A+ and Network +.

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good stuff. Good luck on the course.

I did the first MCDST exam 2 weeks ago, if you know xp well it will help you a lot.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. GiddyG

Thanks Prof.

I did see a recent post where someone said they took a QA-IQ course in London and they thought it was good, so I am expecting good things.

Only prob now is the hotel is 3 miles from the where the course is... should I drive in, or should I walk? Decisions, decisions... lawl...

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Yeah I know what you mean. I guess if there is good parking, and no traffic then you might as well drive, if the opposite you could probably take the public transport.

When I do my cert exams, the center it self is downtown and when I drive, I have to park quite far from the place and walk the rest. At least its good exercise before the exam:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  5. GiddyG

Well, a brisk walk in the morning (I reckon less than 30 mins for 3 miles should be doable at my age... 8) ) should wake me up sufficiently.

Never been to Milton Keynes, so it should be interesting. I just hope it isn't as bad as Telford! No offence to anyone who lives in Telford by the way... :rolleyes:

6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Good job with the course - my work would probably send me on one if I asked, but as I have to pay the company back a % of the cost if I leave within 18 months, I'm going to leave it until I really need it - maybe for the 70-270.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I think the the 30 minute walk would be a nice way to clear your head before the exam.

8. GiddyG

Not doing the exams yet... still working through the A+ and Network +; however, the reason I said yes to the courses was to help get me more info about Windows XP. It should help me with A+/Network +. I will then do a bit more self-study for the MS exams and (he says crossing his fingers) pass them both with flying colours. 8)

9. GiddyG

Well, on the course... and it is TOUGH! We are using the real MS training book (2261C). The trainer is certified to MCSE and really seems to know his stuff.

There is NO way anyone would be able to take the exams after this course, as it only touches on the foundations of MCDST.

I am going to get myself a copy of MS VPC 2007, and get to grips with it... but only after I have completed my A+ and Network +.

10. GiddyG

Update on the course... finished the M2261C today. The instructor wizzed through the stuff; however, the bits he touched on that are also in the A+ did make a lot more sense, so it has been very useful in that regard.

I start the 2262 tomorrow morning... can't wait... :eek:

11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Sounds good GiddyG.

In school I had instructors that flew by certain topics, it felt like you either learn fast or get left behind, which is why I like learning things on my own. Even though I never had trouble in school when learning the basics of IT like A+ and N+ I did find that learning on my own I accomplished a lot more because I wasnt pressured.

Anyways good luck and keep us updated.

12. GiddyG

Well, we have the last 3 modules for M2262 tomorrow... Outlook, Office and Outlook Express.

Today was interesting... we looked at the likes of troubleshooting IE (version 6 primarily but also 7).

I do know some of the stuff already, which is surprising, and doing the labs that come with the MS material has proved useful.

Once A+ and N+ are out of the way (I wish!), then I really will begin to concentrate on the MCDST.