MCDST before Network+?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by bokawel, Nov 12, 2008.

1. bokawel

bokawel Bit Poster

Hello, been a regular reader. I've seen a lot of recommendations that you first must pass A+, then Network+ and finally MCDST. Is this path really needs to be followed like a religion? I mean I passed A+ rather easily, but now I can't decide between Network+ or MCDST to take next. Network+ seems too confusing for me at this time and also the new version is coming out soon. So I thought I might take MCDST first before Network+. Is this ok?
    Is it also worth sitting both MCDST exams?

Certifications: BEng Computing, Java Cert, A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support
  2. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

You have to sit both exams if you want to earn the MCDST cert. Passing just one of them only makes you a MCP.

Network+ knowledge will certainly help you with the MCDST and you have to learn these basics at some time. It's up to you though which order you take them in, they're at the same sort of level. I'd say there was about half a dozen question across the two MCDST exams I knew the answers to from Studying Network+.

Good luck.

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  3. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

I am going fot both ate the same time. However i will concentrate more on MCDST. I think that to do some good networking u must know very well at least one operating system. And knowing Windows XP might be beneficial. Anyway many MCDST topics are about Networking.

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The N+ will prepare you for the MCDST so do that first.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I would completely disagree with the above - I completed the MCDST before Network+ and it hasn't made any difference to me by doing it this way, just as much there is no real help in doing the Network+ before the MCDST.

I chose the MCDST first because I was doing that type of work at work so felt it was better suited for my circumstances.

Apart from a few (I'd say a lot less than 5% of the syllabus') questions - which Mercury stated, it doesn't help nor matter which one you do first. There is no need to know an OS really well to do Net+ because again it doesn't really help much.

MCDST doesn't help the Net+ and vice-versa.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Like I said, both exams are at the same type of level and the order in which you take them is up to you. If you are working with XP and are much more familiar with XP than networking, then great take the MCDST first.

However, if you plan to take both the Network+ and the MCDST and want to work out which order to take them, you have to take into consideration that a lot of the Network+ syllabus will directly benefit you when it comes to taking your MCDST exams.

Look at some of the syllabus sections for the MCDST exams:

*Troubleshooting Network Protocols and Services
    *Managing and Troubleshooting Access to Resources
    *Configuring and troubleshooting connectivity for Applications

Personally I'd rather have the network+ knowledge going into the MCDST exams than the other way around.

The choice is yours though, everybody finds their own way. Both exams are entry level and shouldn't cause you any major problems if you put the work in.

Good luck

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  7. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I think some on here in fairness do treat this course of action as some type of religion, while a good path, my view is that A+ and Network+ are great for basic troubleshooting and beginner knowledge which will definitely get you ready into the world of 1st line support, but I also think that the MCDST gives a you information about the roles a first line tech should be doing, and is obviously a bit more Microsoft based, which I will argue 99.99% of companies and roles a starter will face will involve windows, of course there will be exceptions.

Still I would say that having all 3 will help, the order shouldn't be set in stone, but I think its all down to the person and where they think their strengths are, also consider what the local jobs market is after, if its A+ then do that first, if its MCDST, then the same, but then do the other exams while you are working.

On cost for instance, the MCDST is 2 books and 2 exams, so books around 50 quid, exams 176 so around 226 quid to become MCDST certified, A+ is (for IT tech http://certification.comptia.org/a/default.aspx) is also 2 exams, costing around 100 quid each with these vouchers (http://www.getcertify4less.com/aplusint-pro.asp), and i think you still need one book which you can get on amazon for around 30 quid.

So not much difference in costs.

Id say whether you do A+ then MCDST, or MCDST then A+, you really should do both, what you could do as devils advocate is buy both sets of books, then have a quick look through both, that way you should get a quick idea of what you would benefit from learning the most.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Not disagreeing for disagreements sake, but the basic knowledge of the MCDST exams involves 4 commands

Ping
    Pathping
    Tracert
    ipconfig

And the ability to configure the network adapter in windows, and work with shares.

All are covered in the MCDST material, and to be honest you do not have to be a network guru to use any of them, as I found the explanations were pretty much spot on.

But I have to say the MCDST does benefit from actual real world experience, but I think it is fair to say many people will be using it to get their foot in the door.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  9. bokawel

bokawel Bit Poster

thanks everyone for your replies.

i have decided to take MCDST before Network+. simply because i work as a technical support analyst(1st line) and i think i will benefit more if i know more about windows xp and how it works.

appreciate all you advice, cheers.

Certifications: BEng Computing, Java Cert, A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support
  10. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

this is what i was going to say yesterday,i'm doing the mcdst just now, and i was puzzled about all this depth of knowledge in networking.And doing network A+ .If it required that calibre of knowledge i wouldn't be doing the mcdst.

Networking is my worst subject,and i've barely come across all that much network stuff in the mcdst,the basics are there,but i haven't seen much else so far.

I'm only a few chapters short of finishing the mcdst 70-271.
    There is some network stuff in chapter 9 and chapter 10,but beyond that where is the indepth stuff?
    here is chapter 9 according to the lab manual
    Managing local and network printers

install a printer
    share a printer
    control access to a printer
    creating an additional logical printer
    creating a printer pool

we were doing this stuff in the A+.

Chapter 10

supporting network connectivity

configuring the windows tcp/ip manuallly
    testing network connections
    installing a network protocol

again i think much of this is in the A+ .

The bits i'm finding difficult in the mcdst aren't network related.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  11. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Your reasoning behind your choice is enough for me - this is how others should think about their approach.
    Good luck :)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  12. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I am doing the MCDST before the N+

Got my MS press book for 70-271 today, starting next week

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots