mcdst and 290 without a client exam

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by thetokyoproject, Mar 26, 2007.

1. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

i'm thinking about doing the 290 after i complete the mcdst..

has anyone followed a similar route without doing the 270 XP client exam...

cheers.

Certifications: 271
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Anything is doable just need to commit and work hard at it. Setup a test lab and practice the exercises in the MS press or sybex book and then go on to transcenders to see if your ready.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. np3893

np3893 Bit Poster

Certifications: BSc, A+, MCSA 2k3, 70-293
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

If your question is do you need to do 270 before doing 290 - the answer is NO. Microsoft doesnt say you need the one to do the other and vice versa. Its just a "habit" if you want to call that, that people do the client exam then 290 in the MCSE path. Just having 270 and 290 as MCP's on there own isnt worth much these days so look into doing either a MCSE or MCSA.

and i got to disagree with np3893 - 271 and 270 are like each other but you need to learn ALOT of new stuff and 270 is much harder.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I disagree with your analysis on this Zimbo. True, there is nothing that states you must do the 270 before the 290, but there is a much better reason than just 'habit' to take them in that order.

Many of the topics and the concepts in the 270 are very much built on in the 290 and explored in much more detail. Unless someone was very familiar with the XP and server 2003 environment then they would be making mistake to do the exams out of order.

There is very much a logical progression in the core MCSA exams and it makes a great deal of sense to follow that progression.

IMHO anyway. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

thanks for the advice.

i think it's possible to do 290 before 270 though there is a certain amount of crossover.

ultimately, if i am able to put mcdst and hopefully 290 and linux+ on my cv, then prospective employers will see that i have the capacity to complete the mcsa and possibly the mcse too.

my main reasoning in doing exams is not to go for the full mcsa or mcse at this current moment.

i want to increase my knowledge and show prospective employers that i am serious about my career. also, if these 2 or 3 exams will get me into an entry level position, then i will certainly work hard with the new experience from work to complete the other exams.

i believe people who do exams do so for different reasons and i hope that employers look at the whole picture and not just how many exams you have under your belt.

i will try for the 290, but if i choke horribly at the 1st hurdle then i guess i can always take a step back and maybe look into the 270.

Certifications: 271
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Doing the 290 before the 270 is possible. I know because I did it. I did the 290 then 270 and then 271 (got to pull the finger out for 272).

Yes it's totally arse about from what is usually done but I like being different and doing it this way the exams only get easier. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

*cough* 291? :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada