MCDST Advice Required!

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by No Guts No Glory!, Dec 16, 2006.

1. No Guts No Glory!

No Guts No Glory! New Member

Hi,

I'm new to this site I would like some advice about obtaining some more certs. I'm currently working in a school as an ICT technician and would like to further my IT knowledge / education by obtaining some MCPs.

After reading some articles on this site I've come to the conclusion that it would be beneficial for me start off by studying for the MCDST exam.

Q1. Is the MCDST a lot harder than A+ / Network+ exams

Q2. Is it worth studying for the MCDST or is it better to wait for the Vista certs / exams.

Certifications: HNC, A+ and Network+
    WIP: MCP 70-271
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I haven't taken the MCDST exam but from what others have said it is still very much entry level and should not tax your brain too much.

Yes go for it now, Vista won't be heavily used in the wild for a while yet and clearly your existing knowledge of XP which has been around for years should help heaps.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Agreed.

The MCDST is harder, but not much more so. The questions are a bit longer.

It is well worth it to get certified on XP now. You can always upgrade your MCDST to Vista later.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

This is my answer from my point of view:

Q1: It's along the same level (they are both actually placed at a level 2 professional qual). However what makes an exam harder or easier is how much knowledge you have of the subject.

For example, since you work in a school you may have the RM system in, since RM (in theory) does alot of the work for you you may find the MCDST alittle bit harder than the A+/N+. However if you have a support contract for all your hardware (so if anything goes wrong, you don't fix the PC's/Network an external company fixes it) you may find the A+/N+ harder than the MCDST. But don't worry the A+, N+ and the MCDST are entry level certs and like Bluerinse said "should not tax your brain too much".

Q2: IMO go for the MCDST (XP) cert now, if you're a regular school, I would say least least 50-75% of your PC's would not be able to take Vista anyway, at least if you do the MCDST now, you'll be certified. You can alway's upgrade to the "MCITP: Enterprise Support tech" with one upgrade exam at a later date.

Price wise for the exams there will be no difference between the MCDST (& upgrade exam) and the MCITP: Enterprise Support tech, as the both routes will require you to take 3 exams.

Hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I agree exactly with what Ken said.

Thinking back to the A+, I would say it is probably harder than MCDST on the grounds of the amount of facts you need to commit to memory- but that's just me.

Good luck. Oh, I found the MS Press books (here and here) very good for the MCDST, followed by Transcender.

Merry Christmas

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. No Guts No Glory!

No Guts No Glory! New Member

Thank you all for your quick reply. Your valuable advice has convinced me to go for the MCDST. Merry xmas and happy 2007.

Certifications: HNC, A+ and Network+
    WIP: MCP 70-271
  7. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

Hi

I'm also an ICT Tech in a school and took my MCDST whilst i've been working there. like the guys said if your using xp every day you should be OK with this cert. also i found that working in a school you haven't got the same pressures as business so i had time to get hands on experience in some areas that i did not have much in. after taking the cert i also rolled out remote assiantance around the school, which is a subjuct in the mcdst. its making a big difference now, and the staff love it because we can get to them quicker and the kids like it because they think its magic:D

the books i used was windows xp inside out 2nd ed, exam cram2, but if you think you will need a bit more in depth studying then thems press books is always a safe bet.

Gud Luck Dude8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCTS: Windows Vista, Config, MCTS: Exchange 2007, Config, MCTS: Server 2007 Active Directory, Config, MCTS: Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, CEH