MCDBA & MCSE but no confidence

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Node, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Node

Node Byte Poster

Hi,

Well i passed my MCSE and my MCDBA a few months back, but unfortunatley i have 0 confidence whatso ever :( , I'm currently at my first proper IT job (Helpdesk) and when i try to tackle more technical issues which i *should* be capable off i start panacking kinda get scared on what will happen if i **** up basically, even when im at home, sometimes i cant see the most obvious problems thats staring me in the face. Basically im not sure what to do, when it comes to servers i have very little experiance, im more of a book worm really and even then i forget what iv read half the time, my work does not know i have my MCSE and MCDBA, im not sure what to do i was hoping to leave my job in the next 4 months (i would have been there for 6 months by then). My aim is to move up to 2nd line really but im not sure if im capable, dont really know what to do i do try and read as much. Im even studying for the Exchange 2007 exam at the moment but i dont think its going to be usefull at all if im not confident, anyone got any ideas/advice?

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE,
  2. GW

GW Byte Poster

First thing, learn to relax. It's a helpdesk job so if you **** up just admit to it and learn from the mistake. You might want to get VMWare or Virtual PC and setup a lab environment and start practicing how to do things, check into Train Signal the products are designed to teach you how to actually setup and configure different stuff, they expect you to have all of the theory so they focus on the practical.

You can talk to your boss and let him know that you have your MCSE and MCDBA, they might have an entry-level position that you can move into where you will be under the wing of someone more experienced who will help you gain the experience as you put what you have learned into practice.

Just relax and don't stress if you don't see the obvious problems, one of the reasons that you can't see them is that you are stressing to much, once you relax and just go at it slow and easy things will be better for you.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with GW. Here is the thing not to make feel bad because believe me those are not my intentions at all, and if I could help you I would. Here it goes,

You have to start from the beginning, meaning you have to start with something basic like the Comptia A+ Microsoft MCP 270 (XP Pro), MCDST, Network+ certs. Reason being is because they are all basic certs that will give you the necessary knowledge to advance in your career. You say you are lacking confidence, thats because you don't have any experience. I know because I was in your shoes last year. It takes time and effort and dedication to get used to the IT world. Everyday it's a new puzzle.

Since you already have those certs, I wouldn't go right away and tell my boss that I have those certs, just hold off on that for now. Start reviewing what you learned but this time do tons of practice. Like GW said install virtual PC or Vmware and practice away. It is imperative that you understand the concepts correctly because it will help you learn the material a lot quicker and make you understand certain situations that you will be faced with in the future.

Last but not least. Don't be nervous, it's ok that you don't know, you are new to this just like me and many other folks on this forum. We all were nervous when we started out. The best thing to do is when you come across a problem take a deep breath and take a step back. Calm your self down so that you can solve the issue with everything you've got. Rule out the most basic causes and work your way up from there. Also don't be afraid to ask for help. Just because you ask someone to assist you, doesn't mean that you will never be able to do it on your own. This is how experience is built. If you made a mistake admit and learn from that mistake, because to be honest with you, you will make a lot of mistakes, I made a lot of mistakes but I learned from them and became a better tech.

Again don't worry, work hard ask question and in no time you will get more comfortable.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Just out of interest, how did you get an MCSE and MCDBA?
    How you studied and how long it took you could have a bearing on your confidence.

Never forget though, when a client is calling YOU in support, it is because THEY are screwed, not you.

They don't know that you are lacking confidence, you are the IT guru to them.
    If you manage to tell them to turn it off and back on again with enough conviction, you'll carry it off.

Think of a complicated way of describing a reboot.
    When the client asks '?', then talk them through it in a really patronising and childish way.
    'Can you see the power button? With the little green light on it? Take your finger...'

Some b@stard did that to me recently...

:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

OK, you're in your first proper job and you've already got your MCSE?

First of all, if I were you I'd get some basics behind me. I would recommend stop studying for Exchange and start doing the A+ and the Network+.

Getting the high-end certfications without the experience, especially when you have no confidence is basically useless. Please remember that Professional qualifications/certifications should reflect your job role and responsibilities. If you wanted to get qualified without the experience, then you would have benefitted from doing an academic qualification, like a degree or diploma for example.

4 months of helpdesk doesn't even begin to cover that.

OK apart from all of that, the main problem your experiencing is confidence - or experience. The only thing I can recommend is speaking to your line manager and request extra support. Ask him if you can job shadow, or pair up with another IT Pro at your place for a little while. Management aren't only there to oversee/manage but to also support you when you need it.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Have to agree with Ken on this one. High level IT Professional certs (such at the MCSE) are aimed at people who already have experience in these fields. They are most certainly not meant for people without experience in a live environment. If you feel that you lack confidence in dealing with 1st line support issues I think it would be big mistake to start looking at 2nd line roles.

Start to learn about some of the more entry level certs (A+, MCDST) and even if you don't decide to sit those exams the knowledge the will bring should help you in your current position.

I don't agree that the 70-270 is a basic certification. It requires experience working in a domain enviroment and many people find this exam tougher than they expect.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Ken

People starting into IT should follow A+, N+ then MCDST, then something like MCSA and MCSE

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

It may not be as an easy exam to pass, but non the less it is still an entry level certification, which should be pursued before any MCSA or MCSE.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I have never seen the 70-270 described as entry level before and I don't personally think it is an entry level exam. Just because it's client exam in a larger overall certification doesn't make it entry level.

Ideally you should have a decent amount experience working in a live AD Domain before tackling the 70-270. MS agree ...

Doesn't sound very entry level to me.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

QFT, as I thought I was seeing double when Theprof called MCP 70-270 an entry cert. Well it is certainly not an entry cert.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Did you have a lab to use when you studied? If not, well, this is the cause of all your lack of confidence. To be able to do the work, you have to do the work, in at least a lab setting. If you haven't used a lab up to now I'd recommend that you start using one immediately. Get hands-on experience. Even a lab is far better than none.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  12. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

A+ all the way, I have only been in the job a few months and I have lost count of the times the material I covered has helped me out at work. About the convidence thing, I'm with you on that, nearly everday now I do something new that I have no experience with, but ask yourself, 'If I don't fix it who will?' If you have to get back to people or google a problem so what.... Nobody is born an IT tech!

Chin up and a deep breath, worrying will never help you.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  13. Node

Node Byte Poster

Hi everyone, thanks for all the great input. Im studying for my MCDST at the moment, im doing that before the Vista and Exchange exams, and no i did not have a lab, im currently in the process of setting one up at the moment though, hopefully it will help me alot!

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE,