MCAD self study

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by sneezie, Aug 31, 2005.

1. sneezie

sneezie Nibble Poster

I've been reading the posts on this forum and it's been very informative. This is a really great website!

I got a guy from Computeach coming to see me tomorrow, after reading all the posts. I'm having doubts about using a training provider and forking out around £5000.

Has anyone studied by themselves for the MCAD? I'm planning on going down the VB.net route. I'm a graduate with a first class honours degree in Business IT but my degree wasn't very technical and we hardly did any programming, only some VB. So I'm finding it impossible to get a job in programming. I'm working as a software tester at the moment, but I really want to get into software development.

Do you think self-study for the MCAD is a good idea? There are a lot of textbooks out there, does this compensate for not having a tutor and the support they provide? How useful is it to have a tutor?

Certifications: Degree
    WIP: MCAD in vb.net
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Self study will be a great way for you to do it. It will save you a fortune.

Why would you need tutor support when you have these forums? I'm pretty sure that someone around here will be able to resolve any problems you may encounter.

8)

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I know virtually zip about programming so I think going self-study vs classroom is a matter of aptitude. I probably couldn't learn to code by self study if you held a gun to my head, just because I don't think in that direction. On the other hand, buy a book and start going through it and see how it goes. Like Simon says (sorry about that), you can post any questions you have here and someone who actually does know programming (not me) will be glad to help.

BTW, if you haven't done so already, pop up to the New Members Forum and give us a proper hello. Thanks. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. sneezie

sneezie Nibble Poster

Thanks for the advice, you really are a friendly bunch on this forum.

I've just spent £70 buying my textbooks from Amazon. I'm going to teach myself :D Cos I do kinda like have a background in IT, even though what I know isn't that technical, I should have the aptitude to teach myself programming. I can't bare the thought of parting with so much money, I could spend that £5000 on so many other things (for a recent graduate, that is a lot of money!).

I've never really considered self-study until I found this website. So thanks for saving me money!

Can't wait for my books to be delivered! Excited now!! This is gonna be so fun.

Certifications: Degree
    WIP: MCAD in vb.net
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Don't thank us until you start studying and are just loving it. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+