MCAD Info Required

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by M3ntal, Mar 22, 2006.

1. M3ntal

M3ntal New Member

I'm wanting to learn about Windows networked application development, and upon looking at the options available, have decided that an MCAD would teach me what i need to know, and appending an MCSD to that would pretty much polish the job off.

I have some knowledge of Java and C++, so it seems appropriate to go down the C# route rather than the VB one. I also know the basics of distributed and client/server systems using JavaSpaces, RMI, and BSD Sockets, which should translate reasonably well to Windows Sockets + XML Services, and if needs be, DCOM. My weakest areas are in Windows application development and knowledge of the .NET framework in general, as my previous experience is with mainly web-based systems (PHP/MySQL/etc) and non-platform-specific Java systems.

Now to the questions:

1) Can anyone point me to a list of places, preferably in Yorkshire, where i can sit the exams? I am intending to learn the material in my spare time via books, the web, etc, so i am looking for places that allow you to just pay for the exams themself rather than a full learning course.

2) Can anyone recommend any particularly good learning material?

3) How much do the exams cost?

4) Do you think my assessment of the options available is the best one, and if not, why?

Thanks in advance for any replies :).

WIP: MCAD/MCSD
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I can't answer any of the questions, but I can comment on programming Winsock after a spell of BSD sockets.

While there are similarities, thare are some surprising differences. These will only matter if you program at the socket layer. With a lot of the addons and extras nowadays you may find that you are using an API which is a considerable distance from the Winsock layer!

My own experience was pre .NET, with MFC. I found learning to use this effectively was a steep curve. In addition I had to also be able to use the Win32 stuff. I have no idea what things look like now with C# and .NET - but suspect that you will need to get a fair few books!

In those days the 'bible' was the Petzold book. I've no idea if this is still the case now, but it might be worth looking out for it.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. M3ntal

M3ntal New Member

From what i've heard, the .NET Framework has a full sockets implementation in it. Winsock is finally dead?

4. hbroomhall

From long experience - I doubt it.

What usualy happens is that it looks good on first appraisal. Then you look at your requirements more closely and realize that the exposed API won't do all of it.

So you look closer. Before you realize it you are at the Winsock layer!

Harry (cynics 'R' us)

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

One of the great things about .NET is that it doesn't really matter which language you use. You can use COBOL if you want. The language compilers sort it all out for you. There's no reason you can't have people using different languages working on the same application. The only obstacle you run into is the corporate 'We use C# here' mentality.

You can do your exams in any pearson VUE or Thompson Prometric site, they are everywhere and there are plenty of threads here about them. Check out their websites for venues.

What resources you use depend on which path you take. I think the only compulsory module is XML, other than that you are free to pick your platform (Web or Windows) and any other thing you want to tag on (like SQL). MCAD is quite a versitile certification, there are loads of electives for it.
    The MS Press books are usually good, and I used Gunderloy's PrepLogic quite a bit. They are rather example-heavy (and full of mistakes) but at least they make you think...

Good luck.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Oh, and exams cost between £88 and £104 depending if you pay VAT or not...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. M3ntal

M3ntal New Member

Thanks for the info JonnyMX, the Thompson Prometric website gave me the details for about 5 places in Leeds that do the exams, so one of them will do :). I did spot Amit Kalani being mentioned a few times around this forum, are his books as good / better than the MS Press ones?

As to the Winsock issue, i had heard that Winsock is just a cut-down version of BSD Sockets, which is why i assumed upon hearing .NET had a full sockets implementation that it would pretty much *be* BSD Sockets. Am i wrong?

8. hbroomhall

A better way of thinking would be to say that Winsock is *based* on BSD sockets, and has similarities.

M$ tends to re-invent the wheel when it suits them, and the the way the Win32 system works means that Winsock can never be exactly like BSD sockets.

If you want the exact environment then develop under Cygwin!

Harry.