MC (insert as appropriate)

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Meshan, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Meshan

Meshan Bit Poster

Hey again

I have a question about costs of courses. I have had a look throught the forum and there are a few debates about course led or self tought, and I have read most of them.

I signed up for my MCDST with Pitman training in Luton today attracted by their advert for £1,000 of EU funding avaliable for people made redundant. Thinking this may be enough for a few courses I went down to find out that the MCDST was £1,200. (Minus the £1,000 funding). I signed up as £200 is affordable and there are a lack of places localy to use for MC(*) courses.

My issue is that companies that provide the training are like gyms. They wont tell you how much the course is till you say you are interested.

QUESTION

Is £1,200 about right? Because if it is, it make progressing look a little harder.

Certifications: HCIMA, BIIAM, BSc (Hons),
    WIP: MCITP (70-622)
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Ur, Hammer?

:D

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Put it this way, our local college is offering the MCDST course (plus vouchers) for £483 (£112 if you qualify for the concession rate).

While I can't rate their training, I have used them several times for their testing centre, and found that to be very good.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've heard that Pitman are supposed to be pretty good.
    That fee doesn't sound so bad, especially if some of it has been funded.

Just bear in mind that ANYONE can charge ANYTHING for certification training, so it's worth doing your homework.

But again, as we have seen so many times here in the past - you have asked if it's a good idea AFTER you've signed up.

8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Meshan

Meshan Bit Poster

I understand

The advice is for the next course where I don't get funding. I tried looking around and prices seem to get left off websites. I just wanted to know if that was a typical price.

Certifications: HCIMA, BIIAM, BSc (Hons),
    WIP: MCITP (70-622)
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's about £1,100 more expensive than self study. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

True ^^
    I think £1200 for the MCDST sounds about right, I remember about a training company in Southampton offering it at a "discounted rate" of £699 compared to their usual £1400.
    Still, £200 is better :)