Maxtor NAS drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by michael78, Aug 24, 2009.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Bought a Maxtor Shared Storage II device for about £300 about 2 years ago and the first failed within 10 months, the replacement lasted less than1-2 months so they sent me a Central Axis which is meant to be the replacement and that has lasted less than 10 months. All the devices have failed and they are well ventilated and not heavily used. Do I still have a case for a return under UK law? I've learnt the sleep function in the Central Axis doesn't work so it gets pretty hot and I think this is what has broken it.

I used to think Seagate were good but their Maxtor NAS devices seem really poor. Has anyone had issues with these devices or am I just very unlucky :(

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I think as a rule in addition to the warranty items should have a lifespan that is reasonable to the cost of the item plus its use. therefore 2 cameras one costing a tenner and the other costing 400 quid, if both broke in the 13th month then it would not be reasonable to expect and repair or replacement on the tenner but it would be in the 400 quid one.

Best bet contact CAB and explain what has happened and ask their opinion.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index...r_rights.htm#your_rights_when_things_go_wrong

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Try their site and see if it's still under warranty first

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Such details (as the items are replacements and not originals) may not be available on the manufacturer's website. Contact the supplier directly, preferably by telephone, and see what they advise. If they're not overly helpful then move on to the CAB etc as stated in the second post.

HTH.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Maxtor are (or always were) very good at dealing with the end user.

You can find their warranty statement here

However, what I was hinting at, was that they may not have recorded the replacment as that so you may find it can be dealt with as a straight warranty claim. Use the warranty checker here to test that theory out :biggrin

Good luck !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. michael78

Cheers guy I got a result after a couple of emails explaining I wasn't too happy with their fail rate of drives. They are going to send me a NAS drive that can swap the drives out if they fail.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good to hear you got a result, Slypie. I've had cause to call in a few (non-IT) warranty claims lately, and have noticed that bigger brands are more than happy to provide a satisfactory end-user experience in the event of problems with their equipment.

I think this is moreso the bigger the brand name, as obviously they have more to protect. I believe that a rational, well-constructed claim will get their attention and ensure they realise that they are dealing with a genuinely disconcerted customer, thus making it easier to negotiate a settlement that suits both sides.

By exactly the same logic, it's when one loses the rag when making a claim, by whatever means, that the customer support/service department become less inclined to assist and make you happy.

Don't be fooled by the "this is a buyer's economy" argument - whilst companies wish to keep you as a happy customer, if you really are an @rs€h0le, they will gladly send you on your way. It's worth jumping through a few hoops to get a result.

The above, is as ever, all IMHO :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
    Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

And, as I've said before, opinions are like arseholes - everyone's got one. Mine is different. I am never friendly on the phone - I ALWAYS sound pissed off if I'm ringing to complain about equipment failure. I couldn't hide the tone in voice even if I tried to (which I don't). I find this approach usually pays dividends as well. Two recent examples spring to mind:

Firstly - I have been having grief with Virgin media for aeons. After politely putting up with being told on more occasions than I care to count to 'reboot my modem' by someone in an unintelligible accent I finally blew my stack a couple of months ago. Virgin sent an engineer round the next day - found the source of my problem (sheared cable - thanks Croydon council) and arranged a cable repull that same day. They also refunded me three months' service.

Secondly - we've been short-handed in the office this month so I've had to backfill support. Part of this involves calling Dell out to fix a steady stream of broken D620 laptops (we have 12 of them, out of an estate of 40-odd laptops in total, and every single one of them has had at least one hardware failure in the 18 months we've had them). Some of them have had three seperate failures (HDD, mobos & screens mainly). To put that attrition rate into perspective, we've had THREE failures IN TOTAL on the rest of the laptops in our estate during that period. When I spoke to a Dell bod the other day I told her that we were ditching them completely - as their product was unreliable and, hence, useless. I got an offer to replace all 12 laptops with new models for free at the end of the warranty and to extend that warranty by two years.

Neither of those would have been possible if I'd just done the usual British thing of accepting my lot in life, apologising to the nice lady/man on the phone for wasting their time with my enquiry then put the phone down and spent the afternoon moaning about how bad customer service is in this country.

My advice? Something goes wrong - get nasty. Nothing else works any more.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hmm, I agree to a certain extent. I always start off calm and reasonable and it usually works. I only get angry with people on the phone if all else fails really.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

is this an off topic thead?

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  11. michael78

To be honest I try to approach each issue differently depending on what the problem is. I do try and be nice as in most cases the person on the other end is just doing their job. Sometimes the nice approach works and sometimes you have to be sterner with them. The best example was BT shafting my Broadband (turned out in the end some idiot had put a cap on my line by mistake) but after 5 months of dial up speeds and 10 openreach engineers telling me the line only supported 256kbps which was wrong as I had 2.5Mbps but they wouldn't believe me I got hold of BT's CEO and emailed him and whilst it took a bit of time through this they found the cap issue and even put me on a shorter line so I now get 4Mbps.

In a sense just because an approach works with one company it may not with another. I'm a bit like zebulebu as I find it hard to hide my frustration and my tone is usually perceived as aggressive but thats just my voice.

I will give Maxtor credit though as they have done a lot more than most companies but then again their products up to now haven't filled me with confidence.

12. michael78

Sorry mate I posted here as I thought it didn't really fit into the hardware section (thought that was more for how to config or advise on buying etc). Feel free to move it if needed :biggrin

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015