Mature newbie!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Netfinder, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Netfinder

Netfinder Bit Poster

Hi guys, just thought I'd drop by and introduce myself. I'm a 42 year old female career changer. I graduated in 2003 in Business Information Systems, and like many I found it impossible to get a job in IT without experience. I currently work as a Sales Associate for a small wholesale company, and needless to say after 5 years, I realise I can't do this anymore. I'm new to the world of Microsoft Certifications, and have yet to decide on a course. However I'm confident that the advice I'll receive from everyone here at Certforums will be invaluable. I just hope I haven't left it too late.

2. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Welcome to CF

If you do a search on here for A+
    You will find that most go for the A+ as a stepping stone into I.T certs and entry level certs.

Goodluck

Never to late for a carear change:D

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  3. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

I agree never to late. CompTia A+ is proberly the place to start.

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  4. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

welcome to CF!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I agree with ITC. :) The A+ and Network+ certifications are both solid entry-level certifications that can help you get your foot in the door.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Netfinder

Netfinder Bit Poster

Hi ITCrowd, thanks for the warm welcome and advice. I'm so glad I came accross this site, as I was going to sign up with JustIT training company next week. I now realise self study is the way forward, as I don't need to be saddled with anymore debt. I'm going to purchase a copy of Mike Meyers CompTIA A+ and see how I get on. Thanks again! ;-)

7. Kopite_21

Also another brilliant source http://www.professormessor.com. Has some great videos that you can watch, broken down into bite-sized chunks...

Regards.

8. Netfinder

Netfinder Bit Poster

Thanks for the welcome Kopite21, Veloce, & Bosonmichael your advice is much appreciated! ;-)

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Good luck with the job hunting and your certification path :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  12. Netfinder

Netfinder Bit Poster

Thanks Bluerinse, Wagnerk & Reddevil, you have a great resource and community here, glad to be a part of it! :D

13. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Welcome. 42 is not too old, you can still get into the industry. Self-study starting with A+ and N+ is the way to go as they really take you from the basics of computing, to a very comfortable more advanced level as you reach the end of the books (without leaving the reader/student confused). This could take you 6 months to achieve, give or take 3 months (everyone is different).

From there, you can try OS specific exams of which the MCDST was a firm favorite for some time, but I heard some rumors it will be retired in the next 6 months time (can someone confirm this?). You could do an alternative such as Windows 7 if you wanna go down the Microsoft route, or a Mac OSX/Linux one if you prefer that.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  14. Kopite_21

15. Netfinder

Netfinder Bit Poster

Thanks for the info Shinigami, I've already ordered the CompTIA A+ book, I can't wait to get started.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  16. IT Nerd

IT Nerd New Member

You were here a day before I got here, but welcome aboard!
    I'll be 45 in a couple of months and I can tell you that anytime is the right time to enter the I.T. field if you have the right determination (and the right advice will only help strenthen your determination).

The advice you've gotten so far is solid. I've never met a success story yet who looked back and lamented having the A+ when starting their I.T. career!

Hang around and we'll all help each other, how's that?

17. Netfinder

Netfinder Bit Poster

Hey thanks so much for the support ITNerd, I need all the help I can get lol! Hopefully one day I'll be in a position to help others too! Thanks again! :)

18. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Howdy and welcome to CF! Gee, I wish I was 42 again :biggrin Its never too late! Just think, how old would you be if you didn't make a change? See, it the same. Good luck. I'm working on a second change myself.

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  19. Netfinder

Netfinder Bit Poster

Hey thanks Chuckles, you've right better late than never, no point looking back with regrets.

Good luck with your future endeavours too! :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010