Material 70-680

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Jaron78, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi all,

Just after some input.

I have booked the 70-680 for end of March.
    I have been through the Professor Messer Videos and made piles of notes. I am now starting on the MS Pressbook and hope to have that done by 1st March.

That will give me about 30 days of reading my notes and doing the Transcender Practice exams.

Is there anything else I can do to improve my chances? We also have Plurasite at work so I have downloaded that to my iPad and work have agreed to let me have a week off as study leave so I can concentrate on area's that I am weak on.

Work are paying for the exam AND Transcender as long as I pass and have advised me to go onto the 70-686 after.

Thanks for any tips,

Ron

2. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

Make Technet your new best friend. Take your notes and find the first subject area and then search for it on Technet and spend some time going through there refining your notes...If not to get extra notes then at least use it to familiarise yourself with how Microsoft thinks of its own technology and what additional ways of doing things they recommend

And try to get a VM or a spare live PC to do the practice labs on. The best way to learn is by doing, and then you know better how something works rather than just memorising written facts and numbers :)

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  3. monobrow

monobrow Nibble Poster

Jaron78, hopefully you're more familiar with Windows 7 than I was, because 2 weeks to read through and make sense of the MS Press book wouldn't have worked for me. For a start, there's loads of incomplete command syntax, so you'll need to research pretty much every command mentioned.

If you can manage it all in 2 weeks, then I'll really jealous of you. Best of luck :)

Certifications: MOS Outlook 2010, MOS Word 2010, MCTS Windows 7, ITIL v3 Foundations, MCDST
  4. Jaron78

OK, Now I am worried :(

5. Messiah74

Messiah74 Bit Poster

Guys

I have 70-686 to look forward to , currently doing 70-680 , feeling confident though , I reckon vim is the way to go , currently have 2008 server and 3 clients , doing all practice questions and using vm's to find and practice the answer ... My brain remembers by doing

I welcome any tips though , would rather not having to re-sit if I can help it

Certifications: Comptia A+ , Comptia N+ , C.C.N.A
    WIP: M.C.S.A
  6. Jaron78

Yup, 70-686 for me as well.

7. monobrow

monobrow Nibble Poster

Well, you might not have to be.

I'd had very little to do with Windows 7 (or Vista) when I started the book, so it was all new to me. If you've come across some of the commands and features already, then you won't struggle like I did. I was sat scratching my head when it came to quite logical things like autounattend files - the book said 'this code here is all you need to try out an unattended installation' and it didn't work. Expect plenty of that throughout the book... :(

Certifications: MOS Outlook 2010, MOS Word 2010, MCTS Windows 7, ITIL v3 Foundations, MCDST
  8. Jaron78

Did you use Professer Messer as well or just the Book?

I have 6 weeks from today to get this sussed.

9. monobrow

monobrow Nibble Poster

Yeah, I used the book and Professor Messer. Google, SevenForums, SS64.com, Technet and even the command-line help switch were all helpful too

10. Jaron78

Excellent, thank you.
    Did you pass??

I do have the Second Shot offer too.

11. monobrow

monobrow Nibble Poster

Yeah, I passed first time (not with a great score though) - but what I naively expected to take me a couple of months, ended-up being nearly 18 months of study.

I'm sorry to be so negative, but it was nothing like the other courses I've studied.

12. Jaron78

Nah its fine, nice to get different views.
    As work are paying for it, I have also got a subscription to CBT Nuggets. Hopwfully, that will really help.

13. archie

archie Bit Poster

There is nothing worse than running through labs/simulations and finding that half of the commands in the book are written incorrectly so dont work!
    Keep labbing and practising though.

Another thing is try and think the M/soft way - what I do in the real world in IT and what M/soft say I should do can be quite different at times!

Certifications: MCDST, MCTS
    WIP: Lets decide tomorrow...
    Jaron78 likes this.
  14. Jaron78

Thanks Archie,

I have created a Windows 7 Ultimate build as a VM so my Weekends and Evenings are spent messing about with that.
    As I said, I have the Messer Videos and CBT nuggets now so hopefully this will really help.

15. Jaron78

Well there has been a turn of events so I now have an extra month.
    One of our Desktop guys resigned last week so now we only have 4 people on Desktop. One of them is off for 3 weeks in March to get married in Vegas, this means I cant have the last week of March as Study leave, instead, I have moved the exam to the 30th April so little bit more study time.