Masters V MCSE

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Waria Ahmed, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

In your opinion, what do you think holds more value? For example if you had the chance to go to sleep and wake up with one of them, which one would you pick? and how would getting either help you? (past or present)

I did a search, but couldn't find nothing so I apologize in advance if my search skills are poor :P

Thanks

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Two entirely different things so really depends on what you wnat to do and where you see your career going long term.

One is academic while the other could be treated as vocational (and quite specific to one vendor).

If your long term goal is management then the Masters can be useful (depending on subjects/dissertation). Short-term the MCSE *may* be more useful depending on your experience and decision on IT area you want to be in.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Masters

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  4. oush

oush Byte Poster

masters hands down!

Certifications: MCITP: EA, Linux+, CCNA, CCDA
    WIP: CCIP
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This, absolutely. If I were a server admin, the Masters degree isn't necessarily going to be of any use to me, whereas the MCSE would be of great use. But if I were a CIO, the Masters degree would be of much more use to me than the MCSE.

Always use the right tool for the right job... and that includes degrees and certifications.

EDIT: You kids who are choosing Masters without even thinking haven't even been in the IT industry long enough to know. Keep that in mind when blurting out advice... although you mean well, your advice could be doing more harm than good.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

It all depends on what direction you want your career to take. I think a better question to ask yourself would be, "what role would I like to do?". As the gentlemen have pointed out, Masters would help you stand out in the Management arena. MCSE would help you more in a server/network role. Did you have a specific Masters in mind?

IT Security occasionally require a Masters at a non-management level but apart from that its mostly management level jobs looking for a MSc candidate. My employers MD and the majority of the management team only have BSc/BA (Hons) so bear in mind an MSc isn't a route into management but a way to further develop your understanding of a subject.

Just my 2 pence worth, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Personaly speaking I would think that a masters would be a great benefit to have for the long term, as any degree teaches you about the fundamentals, and not just about how a product works at this current time.

Having said that though Certs show that you can use the technologies, not just the theory behind them.

Cost wise, certs will cost you less to attain than a masters, but they may be obsolete sooner. However you will still have the knowledge that gaining them has provided you with.

8)

8. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

MCSE will get out dated in a decade it may help with a job but a masters is an accomplishment in life like traveling the world and things.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Do you believe that my MCSE on Windows 2000 (or NT for that matter!) is "outdated"? Nay, my friend... it means I'm "well experienced". Certainly it is something that needs to be maintained and upgraded... but if you don't think that's true of ANY tech, you've got a surprise coming!!! :biggrin

A Masters degree is indeed an accomplishment... but it doesn't show that you can be a tech. A Masters degree shows only that you can complete a long-term course of study.

Don't misunderstand me; I think a Masters degree is worth pursuing... depending on the job you are pursuing. But I would NOT hire someone with a Masters degree for entry-level tech work... and they're not experienced enough to get a technical job beyond entry-level tech work... leaving them solely in management positions. So, you see, you have to pursue this sort of stuff intelligently... not just because it "sounds good" or because you've been told all your life that you MUST get a degree. It's simply not true... not in IT, anyway.

For the record, I hold a Bachelors degree in a non-IT field and am considering a Masters.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

The way I would look at it is what is my long term goal... like others said, Master is more on the business side where as MCSE is more of a techy side... both have the potential along with experience of course to get you to the same place if you wanted to, but one has more benefit then the other and vice versa.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

Thanks for all the comments guys..

The truth is I currently see myself in a 3rd line support role, hence the reason I'm pursuing my MCSE. However I would like to eventually end up in senior management years from now, that is why I was pondering whether it would be worth looking at getting a masters.

Thanks

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  12. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

There's your answer then, do your MCSE first and eventually do your Masters in years to come. I think thats what a lot of us on here have planned, certainly myself

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs