Master CIW Designer

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by alexandra, Jan 15, 2008.

1. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Hello

I am a digital artist who has decided to move into web design, however despite excellent academic qualifications, and in-depth knowledge of applications like after effects, final cut and photoshop, I don't have much technical experience of the web and have decided to do the Master CIW Designer - particularly for the e-commerce side.

I have found two possible options (neither include the cost of exams):

1. To study part-time at London College for one year: http://www.london-college.com/. This would give lessons in a classroom setting with a maximum of eleven students for six hours a week, with one to one tutorial time too. However this is a private college and the fees for the whole year would be £2200 (it appears more expensive on the web-site but they knock some off for doing all three parts).

2. To buy the self study pact directly from the CIW: http://www.ciwcertified.com/training/. This would cost $999.99, (again cheaper to buy all three parts at once). I think this is £509.955 unless it is more expensive to buy from the UK.

I suppose the big question is should I pay the extra money for tuition, contact with other students, careers advice, and a structured timetable, or should I go it alone?

I know it's a personal choice, but I would love to hear from fellow forum users - has anybody taken either of these routes, If so how was it? Or just an opinion would be appreciated, even if you haven't tried one yourself.

Certifications: MA Digital Arts
  2. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Just found out that I might not be able to buy direct from CIW, so will have to check the price of buying in the UK - this is apparently more expensive.

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you can find other legitimate CIW training materials, then you don't even need CIW's official training materials... that seems awfully expensive! Unfortunately, everything on Amazon is rather dated... it's not a very popular certification, so publishers have stopped writing books for them.

All that said, the Master CIW Designer certification is not very difficult... at least, it wasn't back in 2001 when I got it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You could try to break the certification down into the various required skill sets and then purchase study materials that map to those skill sets. There are plenty of books and websites available that teach html, css, javascript, and so on. It would probably save you a bundle and basic web design isn't really all that difficult to learn.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

The one thing i noticed with web design is that you can easily teach yourself using self study material and online tutorials. Just check out ebay for some really good CBT cdroms on web design.
    CIW doesn't really teach you that much. I finished my site designer studying, sat the exam,( only just passed) and when i got home i sat at my computer and thought of starting my online portfolio. I didn't know where to start to be honest. So i logged on to www.lynda.com , signed up and really started to learn.

The only thing CIW teaches you most about is 'Usability', 'accessibility' and just basic stuff. It really is pants , and i really thought about laughing it off to be honest, but after spending a few hundred pounds on the training material and my first exams and spent over a year learning, i am gonna finish it off. I am now studying e-commerce using some dated books and some up to date cd's, so fingers crossed.

My advice would be to learn (x)html and css first and see how you go! learning these will also teach you a bit about usability and accessibility, semantic mark-up as they call it. knowing Photoshop is a huge bonus which has no doubt taken a few months off the learning curve. But knowing all three would put you in a good position.

Also look on www.sitepoint.com for some really good up-to-date books on web design.

All the best.

Certifications: CIW Professional
  6. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Thank you for all those tips.

It is a very confusing situation at the moment with web courses. A College in Bethnal Green has offered the whole Master CIW Designer course in 36 hours, over two weeks with a 100% pass rate, for £540. Although I haven't done the course it still seems very odd when you consider London College teach it in 208 hours (not including tutorial time), over a year, with a 95% pass rate.

It seems with this course there are a lot of people out there trying to exploit others. :x

But thanks to sharing knowledge on this site there are less people getting ripped off. :D

I've started on XHTML and css; it's a bit like learning a new spoken language, totally confusing and then it suddenly begins to make sense - It's a nice feeling when that happens.

People who have done the CIW, do you think it is possible to do it in two weeks?

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I haven't done the exam and I suppose it's possible to do in two weeks but ask yourself, are you going to actually *retain* all that information that you've crammed into your head in such a short period of time? What's the rush? Do you want to pass an exam and then forget 80% of what you studied or do you want to learn the skill sets that will act as the foundation for your career?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Even though the CIW training only teaches you the basic stuff.......you will never learn it in two weeks!
    You probably could in four weeks (thats one exam i mean) and it depends on how good you are at retaining info.

Put it this way......i didn't know a bloody thing about web design and when i started learning, i was gobsmacked at how much you needed to know! It has taken me over a year to get the certs that i now have. But it only took me that much time because i wanted to make sure i had learn't all i could with what i had. To be honest, i absolutely love learning this stuff and i will always make sure that i am ready before i sit my next exam.
    With web design you really need to practice and practice, which personally i find better than reading and memorizing, which you no doubt will have to do if you want to pass the certs in quick time.

Take your time and enjoy learning and before you know it you will be ready.

Good luck!

Certifications: CIW Professional
  9. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Thank you for all the advice everyone. I'm a complete geek and love learning this stuff too. I will take my time, practice loads and build up a strong portfolio. The possibilities are very exciting :D