Mapped drive and group policy scripting issue

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Jiser, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Hi all. This is on server 2003 + xp workstations. Have a problem first that once a disconnected drive is disconnected it reappears on relogin.

When I map a drive it dissapears on relogin.

The weird thing is I edited the login script to include mapping a drive with a letter not allready mapped and it doesn't work : / In fact the whole script does not work.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

can you post the script here mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Option Explicit
    Dim objNetwork
    Dim strDriveLetter, strRemotePath

strDriveLetter = "Z:"
    strRemotePath = "\\server\rmmaths"

' Purpose of the script to create a network object. (objNetwork)
    ' Then to apply the MapNetworkDrive method. Result z: drive
    Set objNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    objNetwork.MapNetworkDrive strDriveLetter, strRemotePath

WScript.Quit

' End of Logon Script.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  4. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

how about...

net use Z: \\server\rmmaths

...and save as a batch file?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Ok unless I'm reading it wrong, you've stated that the drives reappears or disappears on logon???

I've tested the script on my own servers and it works (I did change the server name and the share name to one that was on my network).

Are you sure that there is a server named "server" on your network with a share called "rmmaths"? Also make sure that user or user group actually has permissions (share as well as ntfs) to access that share on the server, otherwise the script with not map the drive.

Another thing to check is if there is a policy in AD that is restricting that drive letter. Or that there is another script removing the drive.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

The script looks good, and I will take Kens word that it functions (im being lazy right now, and not in a position to test it). Have you attempted to run this on your machine? try using cscript to run the script file, see what happens. If it works fine, then its not a permissions issue, etc, if it doesnt, i would suspect that.

You arent using a kix script that is deleting the drive mapping after this portion of the script is running are you? I also assume that the drive in question is not mapped already.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

I'm sure you did it already but just to be sure check

\\domain_contr\netlogon for any *.bat files :)
    they may be assigned to users (check in user properties in AD)

looks like one script overrides the other one

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  8. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Thanks all I will check all these on Monday at work : )

Ill let you know how I get on.

CHeers

9. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Sorted the problem. Took alot of playing about but this is my 2nd I.T. job and I am all alone having never done group policy, logon scripts etc. Aww, but I am having to learn quick which is great, I tam taking alot in. I have now re done the whole group policy/security settings for the two schools I support. Gradually sorting through the users converting them to the Proper way! Problem is alot of these people never like change.

Cheers for all your help.