Making an OS boot dvd

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by beaumontdvd, Aug 4, 2010.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hi all, I have downloaded a trial version of server 2003 and I need to run it virtually. I want to be able to boot from cd/dvd and I was wondering how I would copy the files in order for it to be bootable. Its not in an ISO format and has a few directorys.

Thanks,
    Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

If it is in a different format, you can download and get PowerISO or Magicso which convert it to iso format then then you can either mount it or burn it to dvd. I do not know which virtual software you are using though.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  3. beaumontdvd

I am using Daemon Tools lite Its great for mounting virtual drives and isos to the drives. Its just in a folder format like on the original cd when its explored. I dont wan't to copy it over just in case it isn't bootable. I will try converting it to an ISO and then mounting to the virtual drive and using the virtual drive as a boot device.

Thanks,
    Dave

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  4. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Download the PowerISO or Magicso, convert it to ISO and get a dvd, burn it to DVD if want to do that way

5. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

I would have thought the trial version you get from Microsoft is in ISO format anyway you downloaded somewhere else other format like daa, cd, nrg etc.

6. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

is it a .img file? microsoft has trial versions in that format but that's basically the same thing as .iso. you can convert an .img file to .iso just by changing the file extension

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  7. beaumontdvd

Thanks I will convert to ISO and for some reason its just a zipped folder. Its just a trial version of server 2003 and it works fine so it isnt spyware ect. Thanks for the help guys!
    Dave

8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_horse_(computing)
    Are you absolutely sure there's no malware lurking in there?

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  9. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Do you have ISO files assoociated with a program like WINZIP? If so that would explain why it looks like a zipped folder. Thats bascially what the ISO is anyway, a zipped folder of the contents of a CD or DVD. You can open them using winzip and copy the contents to normal folders on your desktop.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  10. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

What he said. 7zip has a habit of associating itself with .iso files and if you haven't got any other iso software that handles that extension you'd be none the wiser. What is the extension?

imgburn for the win

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  11. beaumontdvd

The Daemon Tweaks Lite handles iso's and associates itself with them, also I did open up the zipped folder and its just the bog standard setup.exe ect. I will try merge them now using the software above thanks people :biggrin