Mailbox Clusters? we don't need no stinkin Mailbox Clusters

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by Phoenix, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

So I had a client send back one of our SoWs and say they wanted to update it from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010 before signing

'sweet' i think, new shineys to play with
    then came re writing the damn thing for Ex2010

oh my god
    i thought the changes from 2000 to 2003 were big!

Exchange 2010
    gone are the concepts of storage groups, mailbox clusters, CCR, SCR, LCR, its all out the window!

DAG is the new big dog in town, and redundancy is now at the DATABASE level not at the mailbox server level (um, it took how long guys? ya, thanks)

Incremental deployment, you don't have to chose your HA settings on day one and live with them, you can grow AND shrink your environment on the fly

CAS is King, All access traffic (including MAPI) now hits the CAS first, putting extra load onto these servers, make sure you keep that in mind, and if the environment is small (CAS/HUB/MB on the same boxes) but wants HA you need an external load balancer because you cant do DAG and NLB in the same systems (F5 were pushing this to me the other day, until i realised it really didnt effect MOST of my deployments because we have separate CAS servers for good reason!)

I found this awesome PPT that goes into all the HA shiz in 2010, its a fun read, if your sad like me :)

I've thrown it up on my Dropbox* public share HERE
    *yes, that was a total referral plug, but if you sign up, we both get an extra 256mb free space! win win

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Intresting stuff :) have 256mb on me ;)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. EZE Training Instr

EZE Training Instr Bit Poster

Guys,

I'm currently (in fact as we speak) recording several videos on Exchange 2010 including DAG's etc. Keep checking the website they will be there soon (i do have to sleep too).

Gareth Jones
    Chief Instructor

Certifications: MCT, MCITP, MCTS, VCI, VCP, CCNA, CCNP
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Nice presentation, repped.

We have installed a couple of 2010 Box's butthis have been on a single server.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5