Maica- trying to break into IT, DBA field

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by maica1x, Oct 29, 2008.

1. maica1x

maica1x New Member

Hello everyone,

Am currently living in the Isle of Man, and looking to change career.I am looking into CompTIA A+, N+, and MCITP developer & administrator courses (love databases - not sure whether to take dev or admin MCITP yet).

Joined this forum initially to get some advice on how best to study for these without being in IT field, and also if anyone can recommend e-learning sites (I am currently looking at microsoft-certification.co.uk??).

The advice I have been given, as I am currently not working, is to study & take the A+,N+ exams before christmas, then gain an entry level role in helpdesk support, etc. From there, I can work my way up to DBA position - and study alongside work.

I am aware that on majority of job adverts, experience is requested rather than certification AND I realise experience is key. However, it is a catch 22: can't get work without experience, can't get experience without getting a IT work! I have written many letters to companies and spoken to many as well.

Well, that's where I'm at. Any advice, thoughts are welcomed. Am very frustrated at moment on how to get to my goal, without breaking my pocket (seeklearning charge £3000 to do all these together). I don't mind investing in certifications if it gets me a job - but does it.....

I've posted in a few other topics in this forum, apologies if it is in the wrong section - am just getting familiar with the site.

Thanks All.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have replied to your other threads, no need to ask again. 3k is too much, selft sudy is cheap.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. maica1x

maica1x New Member

That was quick! Thanks, will go look!

4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Dude you have already been told what to do... Welcome once again

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  8. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Welcome to CF :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +