Madre de DIOS what a POS...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zebulebu, Mar 17, 2009.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I successfully swerved having to use a Blackberry Storm last year after getting given one the day it came out by an enthusiastic (and hopelessly misguided) Vodafone sales rep who swore it was the best thing since sliced bread because our MD was getting it and we needed someone in tech to be able to support him. In the end I gave it to someone else because it was frustrating me.

Today our MD gave his back and I drew the short straw in the office and had to swap my perfectly usable, lightning fast Bold with him.

Long story short - I've now been using it for a day and I am happy to report that my original thoughts were not inaccurate. It is, without a doubt, the single most useless, poorly-designed piece of ****e I have ever had the misfortune to attempt to use. The touchscreen keyboard seems to be useless to anyone with fingers slightly wider than the average pencil, it keeps flipping orientations at will - randomly with no prompting, the screen gets filthy with finger grease after 7.3 seconds of use (I timed it), the voice quality (both making and receiving calls) is utterly dreadful, there's no wi-fi so i have to use Vodafone's outrageous 3G tariff when I;m sat in the orifice or at home and could be using wlan securely and for free... the list is endless.

I am literally lost for words at how BB could have ever thought this would challenge the iPhone (another hideously expensive piece of **** but at least its usable). Its almost like they did no market research, no testing, no freebie giveaways prior to RTM... nothing.

I had to beg my director to order me another Bold to replace it - I'm giving the POS to one of our sales staff as it will suit them down to the ground - all style, absolutely zero substance.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Pretty much the same story here as well.:blink

The MD specifically requests BB Storm as he'd read all the hype about it, and he likes to have all the latest gadgets, so I set it up and gave it to him. 48 hours later he's back in the office wanting his old BB back as he can't get along with the Storm. I'm pretty sure he would have been back after 24hours if he'd not been out of the country.:D

Then the Business Director hears that there is a BB Storm going spare so I have to set it up for him to use. He managed to last 7 days using it, but he ended up coming back into the office for his old phone. He too couldn't get along with the touch screen, and the total slowness of the thing.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Ouch.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Wow this is simpy not true!! IMO anyway :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Same story here with the BB storm.

Must admit I do like the iPhone (never really liked any apple products before tbh) and it was free on our 02 business tariff.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Jay_7

Jay_7 Nibble Poster

HTC's Touch HD is the only real alternative to an iPhone that will do what you'd expect a smartphone to do. The only downside to the Touch HD is the battery life, I'm lucky if I get 3 days out of mine.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP
    WIP: CCNA 200-120