MAC help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by big-jme, Jan 7, 2008.

1. big-jme

big-jme Bit Poster

Hi,

A friend of mine dropped and broke his Mac book a few weeks ago. Apple are unable to fix it so have given him a new one. His problem is that all his old files etc are on the old hard drive (Apple are sending this back to him)
    He asked me if i knew how to transfer all data onto his new hard drive. I dont know if Apple are just sending the hard drive or the entire laptop back to him.
    Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Certifications: CIW Associate
    WIP: CIW Site Designer
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

It's highly possible they will send back the whole laptop...and so long as he is able to turn it on and it does boot up...the second he hears the tune after turning it on he needs to hold down the T button on the keyboard...what should then happen is the screen will go blue with a yellow firewire symbol bouncing around...he then needs to get his firewire 400 cable and connect it from his new laptop to his one...then his old laptop should show up as a hard drive on his new laptop...he can then go in and pick out the files he needs from it...

Hope this helps :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. big-jme

big-jme Bit Poster

Thanks noelg,

I'll pass on the info to my mate. Any idea what he would need to do if they only send back the hard drive and not the laptop? I think he said PC World want to charge him £30 to transfer files etc.:x

Certifications: CIW Associate
    WIP: CIW Site Designer
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

He could buy a USB HDD cradle designed for laptop hard drives and plug it into his new laptop. It should then behave like a removable storage device.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Exactly what he said...and tell him to avoid PC World like its the sodding plague!! lol...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I second that :eek:

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This is a lifesaver:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Search for CoolMax Multifunction USB, or for the model number CD-350-COMBO, on online storefronts that cater to the UK.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!