Lync 2013 people?

Discussion in 'OCS 2007 / Lync 2010 / Skype for Business' started by Sparky, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Made the mistake of telling a customer how Lync 2013 would help their business now they want me to install it – feck!

Got a couple of installs lined up so need to do some prep work etc.

Anyone deployed this onsite? First install will be onsite (O365 not an option unfortunately) and will be using IM for internal\external staff to work on documents together and potentially have a meeting room setup with a screen and have external staff (one or two) join the meeting through Lync.

Second project is the same but I want to add a voip option if I can – needs some research.

Comments from people support Lync would be helpful :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Shouldn't be a mistake if it helps you get some work and extra knowledge under the belt ;-)

Anyway, I provide consulting on Lync 2013 (amongst others), and depending on the size of your customer, you'd be looking at a single Standard Edition setup (all roles on a single box) or a separate highly available setup with 2+n Front-end servers for best results.

The most delicate conditions for deploying Lync, comes from respecting the rules laid out by Microsoft if the decision has been to virtualize Lync. The audio and video streams (running on the Mediation role), are extremely susceptible to any latency issues, and as such, you really need to take care in allocating host resources appropriately.

And short of deploying Enterprise Voice (i.e. PSTN connectivity), you'll be able to roll-out the standard A/V features just by harnessing the power of the Mediation role. Coupled with the Lync Room System (LRS) devices from partners such as Smart, you could deploy a very lovely 'meeting room' setup with inking and annotation capabilities and so on.

Finally, sounds like you'll be deploying the Edge server role(s) if you want to provide employees (and potentially, guests) to access meetings when outside the company walls.

All in all, a powerful, and somewhat complicated product (but simplified over the years, with OCS2007R2 potentially being one of the most complex ones to setup and operate) that gives employees some very attractive collaboration capabilities :)

We use Lync a LOT at Microsoft.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
    Sparky likes this.
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Thanks for feedback mate – much appreciated.

I have done a test install on my own lab setup – just so I could get up to speed with the install process. Seemed to go ok apart from my lab not being internet facing so I had some limitations on what I could test.

I am now installing on the “technical” network at work so us techs can have a look at it first.

In regard to using certificates is there any recommendations from MS on how to do this in for internal and external names of the server? I have generated a certificate request for ‘web services external’ and have requested this from a third party CA. In regard to the ‘server default’ and also ‘web services internal’ is it ok to use an internal CA for this?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs