LPIC vs Linux+

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by Jaron78, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

So I am really confused and wondered if anyone could shed some light.

I was hoping to start my Linux+ in a couple of weeks. I like Linux, it would really add something to my CV and its something I can see myself using on a permanent basis.

Then after doing a bit of research, I came across the LPIC 1 & 2 and now I am really confused! Is one better than the other? Is one more prominent in the Job Sector? Apart from the cost, is there much difference? Am I better off going for LPIC 1/2 over Linux+?

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Seriously I wouldn't worry about certification, I'd just start using Linux as much as you can and learning about bash, bash scripting, containers, docker, filesystem, package managers, ssh, etc.

Maybe something like this :-
    https://app.pluralsight.com/paths/skills/lpi-linux-essentials-010-160

If your main machine is windows I'd consider dual booting it, or at least setting up a Linux VM, or maybe trying stuff like git-bash, cygwin, chocolaty, etc.

You could also try Windows Subsystem for Linux, but its best to try dual boot or VM first so you have an idea what is native Linux.

3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Seriously I wouldn't worry about certification, I'd just start using Linux as much as you can and learning about bash, bash scripting, containers, docker, filesystem, package managers, ssh, etc.

Maybe something like this :-
    https://app.pluralsight.com/paths/skills/lpi-linux-essentials-010-160

If your main machine is windows I'd consider dual booting it, or at least setting up a Linux VM, or maybe trying stuff like git-bash, cygwin, chocolaty, etc.

You could also try Windows Subsystem for Linux, but its best to try dual boot or VM first so you have an idea what is native Linux.

Jaron78 likes this.
  4. Jaron78

Thanks @dmarsh
    Ive got a couple of VM's up and running with CentOS and Ubuntu.
    Id also like to get Arch up and running too.

Do have a desktop machine that I could also build as a Linux machine and get that fired up.

5. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646
  6. Jaron78

Thanks Chaps. I think I am going to look at getting my CCNP to be honest.
    As you say, keep Linux as a hobby.