Low Profile Graphics Card Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by si_morris17, Dec 1, 2008.

1. si_morris17

si_morris17 New Member

Hi, wondering if anyone can help me.

I have just recently brought a MSI GeForce 8400GS 256MB low profile graphics card to upgrade the on-board graphics on my Dell Dimension C521. As I am stupid I have no idea how to fit this into my case. I am pretty sure it is compatible with my system but could someone please confirm this and give me an idea on how to fit this into my case.

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Assuming that PC does support PCIe x16, then you should have a slot on the motherboard that matches the connector on the new graphics card.

[​IMG]

Unplug the computer from the mains, take of the left side panel. Make sure you use some form of anti-static precaution, or risk damaging the electronic circuitry.

unclip the end plate that corresponds to that slot. insert the card, pushing it into the PCIe x 16 slot firmly and carefully. secure it with a screw or clip (depends how the case is designed).

Move the monitor DVI/VGA lead from the on board graphics output to the output on the new card.

put the cover back on, plug her back in and boot up.

Load the drivers from the accompanying CD or better still, go to nVidia's website and download the latest and greatest.. bear in mind that the drivers for Vista are different to the ones for XP.

once the drivers are loaded you should be able to set the resolution to the native resolution of your monitor.. look in the manual for the monitor for this info. This will give you the sharpest display.

That's it.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

As an extra point - my rule when changing graphics cards is to uninstall the old one *BEFORE REMOVING IT*.

Sometimes there can be horrible interactions between drivers for different cards.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+