Problem Low disk space on Terminal Server.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dubfire, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Morning lads,

I have a Terminal server that has been running low on disk space.

All the TS users (50 in total) have their profiles held on the C drive; this drive has 50GB in total with 30 GB or so dedicated to windows.

The users were unable to logon to the terminal server due to lack of disk space so I cleared out some unnecessary files and ran disk cleanup. This freed up 5 GB or so. Of course this is a short term measure, more of a workaround than a long term fix; therefore, what would you guys recommend would be the best way forward with this one? For example:

1. I’ve though about setting a Terminal server profile path to the D drive (1TB free) rather than using the default of the Documents and settings on server’s C drive. Basically moving all the TS profiles to the D drive.

2. Using group policy to re-direct temporary Internet files, etc to the D drive. I’ve read about a policy that may be applicable to this issue but I’m not entirely sure which one. Any thoughts?

3. I’m tempted to pursue the route of extending the partition but I’m aware that any modification of the system drive is a dangerous business.

All thoughts welcome –

Cheers

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I would go with your Idea of using a TS profile path (you can set this on the users ad account or in group policy), in addtion there is also a group policy to clean up roaming TS profiles on logoff so this would keep your C: drive trim, to find these look in the computer settings somewhere under TS settings, cant remember the location off the top of my head.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

That's superb mate, I was thinking a profile re-direction may be a plan. So, it's as simple as pointing to a new location within the TS AD profile path, copying over the users current profile settings to the new folder and bingo - sounds like a plan. I'll re-search how to re-direct that profile using GP. I was not aware there was an option to 'clean up' roaming profiles on the terminal server - this sounds handy as well.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would image the server out of working hours - install larger hard drives (in a suitable RAID config) and then apply the image.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Cheers for the reply Sparky.

Cheers for the reply Sparky.

The long term plan would be to re-partition the HDs as the D has 1TB free but the C only 40GB.

I've found the GP to re-direct users profiles. I'll create a test OU with a test user and test the policy from there. When rolling out the policy to the domain, would there be a requirement after applying the policy for all users to log-off and then log back on once the policy has been put into place? The reason I ask is I can possibly foresee issues with profile mappings.

I'm also aware of a policy to restrict the size of users terminal server profiles, though I can't find this policy. This would prompt the user when the profile is getting too large or when a large file is stored within their area. Anyone know where this is within GP?

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    BigG likes this.
  7. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Cheers once again Sparky - top man.

8. naama

naama New Member

you can setup gpo to delete cached profile on each time the user logout . From gpo you can also limit the profile size . to clean the cached profile remotly you can use delprof tool or you can use a software named "vtra tsprofcleaner" (check in google )

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  9. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

you know, with all the mucking around I've done with group policy over god knows how long I'd never thought of using it to clear temporary internet files. Slightly embarrassed by the oversight.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10