Lotus Domino Server

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sparky, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I am now looking after a network (long story) running Lotus notes and a Domino server at the back end.

I logged onto the Domino server and clicked on the Domino shortcut and all I got was a command line which showed all the emails being routed through the server, ekk!

Now I am a Domino newbie, is it meant to be like that? Is it all command line fun and games or is there a GUI hiding somewhere?

Virtual beers for any help! :biggrin

Edit: Looks like it is command line, v5.0.6a, can anyone recommend some good books for Domino server?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

Domino can be set to run as a service or with that command line window. I have had problems running at as a service and most of the sites I go to with domino use the command window. Admin work is done through a utility called Domino Administrator. version 5 is a couple of years old. I think they are now at 7 or 7.5.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  3. Sparky

Cheers mate, just been playing around with the command line features.

Is Domino Administrator a seperate download or is it lurking somewhere? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

I don't know much about domino, so I can just go by what I have seen.

There are two types of Lotus Notes client installations. One just has the Notes client, and the other has the client, Administrator and Designer. Usually there are seperate icons in the Lotus Notes client folder on the Start menu or once you open Lotus Notes, you will see bookmarks for them on the left with the other icons. They look like the Notes icon but are a little different. The one for designer has a little green proctor in the corner.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  5. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Ive got to use lotus domino at work and it drives me nuts...

If i remember correctly (still learning) you get the CLI form on the server, but you can use commands to launch certain lotus apps e.g. notes. l notes

They are on lotus notes 8 now.

Lotus Admin can be accessed via those bookmarks ajs1976 said.

The designer is used to make what they call custom databases.

O and get this i changed the unread colour of the emails from red to blue, loaded the new "database" into my lotus notes and it killed it, plain outright killed it.

tip of the day: Migrate from lotus notes :P

6. Sparky

Cheers for the heads up guys. :biggrin

There are other issues with the network but I need to get the Domino side sorted as quickly as possible. Planning the migration to Exchange 2007 as soon as I can!

7. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I've been using Lotus/Domino for a few months now and all I can say is.... I can't wait for the migration to Exchange in December!

I had my first experience with the actual server a couple of days ago, and I had exactly what you had Sparky. But I have been running Domino admin 7 on my workstation, and it runs just fine. Basically you can install it just like you do the Lotus client.

Can't reccomend any good books, but I do lurk ALOT on the IBM Lotus / Domino forums, and they can a real life saver.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  8. Sparky

Ok this is turning into a nightmare.

How do I connect to the Domino server? I have done a full install of Notes on client PC and pointed it at the domino server. I am then prompted for either the username that was used when the domino server was installed or a user ID file which I don’t have. Is there anyway I can connect to the server?

One million rep points on offer! 8)

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep. You need the user name that was used when the Domino server was installed, or you'll need a User ID file.

Where's my points? 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Sparky

:biggrin

Seriously though, anyone got any suggestions? Tempted just to format the server and install Exchange. 8)

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I haven't administered Notes since 2000. But if it hasn't improved much since then, I'd highly recommend implementing your temptation. :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sparky, I know nothing about Domino but Phoenix helped me a lot with info about it when I had to decide between Domino and Exchange. Sounds like I was lucky enough that Exchange was chosen.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I think it's Leeha who uses Lotus Domino (but I could be mistaken). try sending her a PM

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  14. Sparky

Yeah, might have to send a few PMs. :biggrin

This network is a disaster, 8 sites, each one has its own domain (dunno why!) and there isn’t even a firewall on each site, just a router! I need to get the basics of the Domino server sorted out as soon as I can and then I can move onto the domain issues, we can’t add any PCs to the domains on two of the sites.

I downloaded Domino v7 and set it with no problems. When I connected to the domino server with the Notes software it asked me for the admin password which I used when installing and that was it, I was in and could create users. I don’t have the admin password for this server and I tried a Notes ID (from the old IT guy) but I don’t have the password for it, doh!

I think the old IT guys left on speaking terms and that was it, no favours from them and no documentation for the network whatsoever.

I need a holiday...... :cry:

15. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi Sparky,
    Like Bm said you'll need the ID file that was used to set the Domino server up. It might be called Notes.Id or Master.Id. Have you looked on the Domino server itself for this file? I can't remember exactly the path where they are stored on the server (been 18 months since migrated to Exchange) , but I'm pretty sure the folder is called ID and its in the same location as the NSF files are stored.

HTH
    NB:)

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  16. Sparky

Cheers mate, gonna log in now and have a look. There is a notes server on each site, does it matter which one it is (if I can find it!)? :biggrin

17. Sparky

No joy, just searched the servers for *.id and only found the users ID files. :cry:

18. Notes_Bloke

I think the ID files will be on both servers, if the 2nd server is a replica of the master. If you find the ID file you'll also need the password for it. If I remember correctly and it hasn't been changed, the default password for the ID file is lotusnotes.
    Are you thinking of migrating to Exchange? We did & it was the best decision we've made.

Cheers
    NB:)

19. Notes_Bloke

OK, do you know the name of the person who originally set up the first Domino server in the domain? The reason I'm asking is when I took over our Domino system the administrator id was the user id of the chap that had initially set it up.This was stored in the folder where the user ID's were stored. A long-shot maybe.

Cheers
    NB

20. Sparky

Thats the plan, I also want to migrate the Windows environment to one domain as many of the users travel between sites and can't logon to each domain. I dont want to have to setup a trust for each of the domains. :blink