looking for some advice please

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by jonathan.middleton, May 16, 2011.

1. jonathan.middleton

jonathan.middleton New Member

Ive been looking at doing some IT courses for some time now and have singled out the courses that I wish to take. These being the XP 70-270 and the windows 7 70-680. I will be looking at doing a course every four months. I was wondering what the best way around this would be.

I have contact the likes of computeach but they tell me the course will take a year and will cost a couple of hundred pounds. I have looked online and can pick a self training book up for less than £30. As a complete novice to professional IT courses would I be better to take the first course with the likes of computeach? Any help or suggestions would be gladly welcome. Thanks in advance

2. maverick81

maverick81 Bit Poster

It depends really on you really, I know a few people who went with Computeach and other distance learning providers some years ago and had mixed experiences.

I prefer self study, I have just started studying again for Microsoft certifications after a long break, I am looking to do 70-640,642 and 646.

If you don't mind reading plenty of books and you have a PC at home to play around with there is no reason why you cant pass 270 and 680 just make sure you do plenty of practice exams before parting with £99 to do your exam.

Whereabouts do you live? maybe you could find a lab partner to help you study

WIP: MCITP Server 2008 Administrator
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you are a complete novice to IT you should be going for the A+ and N+ before anywhere else.

We do say that you should go for the 70-680 because the MCDST is being retired as a replacement for your first MS cert but be under no illusion its a big step up from the MCDST and quite difficult the 70-270 is similar.

I have never used a TP because of the extortionate prices they charge but thats entirely upto you if you want to go with one but I strongly suggest you do the A+ and N+ first.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?