Looking for some AD steps

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

hi guys so the scenario is Ive just installed windows server 2012 and want to create user accounts and get exchange mailboxes setup basically I just need some very general list of steps to get this done. Please correct me if Im wrong but would this me the order I do things:

Creat a domain controller

Install AD

Install Exchange server

Is this basically all I have to do? I know theres more to these steps but I will research them individually I am just looking for the basic order of doing things as this is new teritory for me.

2. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

Yes, although you would never install Exchange on your DC in real life, I'm told it is possible in lab scenarios.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

TBH I wouldn't put too much effort into exchange as an on premises thing probably more worth your time learning O365.
    So to get AD up and running you'll need to install the OS, install the AD DS role, promote the server to a domain controller. Make sure you give the server a static IP address and point the DNS setting to itself.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for replying, in the real life where would I install Exchange server? I have setup a DC and AD already, I am following a video course I purchased of Udemy, Essentially once I've got my AD users setup I want them to have on-premise exchange mailboxes. That essentially is the goal. I am doing all this just for experience as I have little server experience so just playing around getting familiar with it.

5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

We must have posted at the sametime, yeah I've got to the point of:

Install the OS, install the AD DS role, promote the server to a domain controller. Make sure you give the server a static IP address

now I want to install exchange server and have on-prem mailboxes, this is just for testing.

6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

The last time I installed Exchange (which was literally years ago) you could install it on a DC, not a supported config obviously but you can. I seem to remember getting exchange running to be a bit of a fiddly job especially if like me you don't install it or manage it as part of your normal day to day job.
    To get an idea of steps have a look at this http://exchangeserverpro.com/how-to-install-exchange-server-2013/
    Truly though in my line of work everyone who hasn't already is jumping ship to Office365 so I think you'd be better off getting to grips with AD and also Office365 and Cloud although I just deal with the EUC element so I'm no exchange or email guru.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

There are plenty on prem Exchange Servers out there mate so not a waste of time learning Exchange server but also be aware of Office 365 and what it can offer.

Don’t install Exchange on your DC – it was easy enough to do with Exchange 2003 but much more problematic with Exchange 2007 onwards.

Can you introduce another VM for testing here to host Exchange 2016?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs