Looking for new firewall for remote users

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by skulkerboyo, Jan 9, 2008.

1. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

In the past they/we used secureclient for both firewall and vpn for our remote users. As a vpn software it was ok but it sucked as a firewall. Any way they've moved to citrix for ts but still require a firewall. We're looking for one once setup doesnt involve much if any user interaction. We wouldnt want to frighten the little buggers would we. Volume licence preferred. Any suggestions please. I'm searching around but as usual all the sites are trying to convince me that they are the bees knees and the competition sucks so I'm asking you guys for some recommendations.
    Cheers in advance

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Netscreen 5GT

Simple as that

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. skulkerboyo

I'll go have a mosey at it cheers

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
  4. skulkerboyo

Hmm thats a box. Very impressive but I'm after a software solution we can dump on remote users laptops. We've done away with vpn and are only using citrix for home/remote types now and our current software is a bit clunky. Thanks for the recommendation though:biggrin

5. skulkerboyo

No takers? Surely you supply your remote users with a firewall. Oh well back to the information smorgasboard that is the web

6. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Oh. Sorry, I thought you meant a real firewall.

Software firewalls are pants - if you need to use one it doesn't really matter what one you use - they're all pretty much the same in my book. For ease of use I'd probably recommend McAfee, simply because I've had less problems with their software than I have with any of the other vendors. Having never used a software firewall before though I can't comment on any of them though really.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

:biggrin

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Are your remote users part of your Windows domain? I’m not a big fan of Sophos but it does have an integrated firewall with the AV client and can be pushed out from a management server as well.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Take a look at Kaspersky too (for the same reasos as Sparky's).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685