Looking for Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zimbo, May 22, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi guys im looking around to get a laptop for uni when i come over in a few months and wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. Do you think buying it from a normal shop is better than online or doesnt make a difference?

Dell seem to have some good ones... :rolleyes: anyone used them?

Thanks!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

I think for price you can’t beat Dell mate

A few lads here have bought their laptops from Dell and all have been happy with the quality and price, mainly the latitude models.

Only thing to watch out for is Dell always seem to ‘forget’ to include your recovery cd’s, so you would need to get onto them quick about it.

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

My dads just got a Latitude 120L (the bottom of the range one) and it seems quite good. Basic, but good.

Worth noting though Zimbo is that if you are going to want extra memory to run VM's on it then get the memory from Crucial as its a whole lot cheaper than from Dell themselves.

8)

4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

the geezer next to me has bought a Dell laptop, they good just for doing basic stuff...

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Should have said that if money is no object then I'd recommend HP. Great Kit. Pricey Though. 8)

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

no simon not a chance... i been working with HP laptops at work.. nx910 and the 610 and another 3 models.. they all seem to have a problem... dell looks good.. whats on the recovery cd's?

ill be using them for uni work.. will need it for java programming in 1st semester then from then onwards im not sure... yeah i would like to run vmare but only linux so that could be a plus...

7. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

With a new Dell laptop / desktop PC you get a number of CD’s that contain drivers, OS, system software etc.

My friend didn’t get these CD’s and thought nothing of it but when he rebuilt his laptop he didn’t have the sonic cd-writing software. Contacted Dell and they told him they would send another CD for a cost (of course) as he had lost the original CD, which he hadn’t, but he didn’t report it quickly to them that they were missing.

You can download most of the drivers from the Dell website, but thought I should point it out.

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ah okay.. will keep that in mind.. so dell looks the best then? Now for a printer? :rolleyes: mainly black text so colour pp isnt important..

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

i always recommend Toshiba. I have had a Satellite and now Tecra- no issues (so far!) :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT