Looking for an answer...

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by mazuk, Nov 1, 2007.

1. mazuk

mazuk New Member

Hi guys,

I am new to these forums so firstly hello to everyone. the reason i am posting is i am planning on taking a few microsoft exams the one i am planning on taking at the moment is Vista configuration (70-620) but i am not clear whether you have to sit all the xp equvialents before you can sit this one, i have heard about upgrading from xp to vista but i am really unsure whether i can just sit this one without any xp required exams before hand.

If you could help us that would be very helpful.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am pretty sure you can not take an upgrade exam without doing the originals first.

That would be like saying I am upgrading to a Porsche when you don't have a car. :blink

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. mazuk

mazuk New Member

No im not saying its an upgrade but just need to know whether you have to sit xp exams before you sit vista ones? really need to know before i can prepare for it.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No - you do not need to take XP exams before you sit Vista ones.

That said, most companies still use Windows XP heavily... few have migrated to Vista. Some companies are still using Windows 2000 Professional for some of their workstations!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

If you have a MCDST qualification you can then upgrade to the Vista equivalent by taking just one exam the
    70-621. This gives you an Enterprise Support Technician Qualification by just taking this one upgrade exam.

If you don't have the MCDST in XP then you need to do the 70-260 & 70-262 to achieve the Enterprise Support Technician Qualification in Vista.

Or you could do the MCDST (70-271 & 70-272) and then take the 70-261 upgrade exam.
    This way you get the following titles.....MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS ...... Not bad for just 3 exams! 8)

Is that clear :blink

I think it's easier to do the 70-620 & 70-622 as the 70-261 upgrade was very hard :eek:
    The are no specific books for this upgrade exam. You end buying 70-620 & 70-622 books and studying both anyway!

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

...and some are still using NT 4.0 :oops:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Hmm not sure what your experience/level of knowledge is but heres my two cents.:D
    Assumining you've already had a look at whats on offer in the A+ and N+ and got your heart set on a "microsoft certification" the thing to bear in mind is that no one cert offers a bigger bang for your buck than another one. They simply teach you different things and certain paths you can follow are geared towards a particular job function.
    Some people can get hung up on getting certs and titles. I believe the 620 makes you a MCTS. But the important thing is to start with the one thats going to give you the foundation in your intended field.
    I'd do the xp (70-270) exam or the mcdst exams first. They will give you alot more in the long run than 70-620. After reading through the 620 book it felt more like a "how to use and install vista" book(which in essence it is). I dont feel this cert is going to give you anything that will help you gain employment in I.T. immediately. Assuming your looking to start in a support role look at the mcdst and worry about taking the upgrade to vista exam for that when you find your swamped with vista support queries. We need to keep our knowledge current but we need to avoid getting ahead of the technology that companies are using. This is especially important if you just starting out. Whats the point of rolling up for an interview armed With MCTS on 70-620 and MCITP on 70-622 if theyre still running nt4 and only did an xp rollout two years ago?

Have a look at the microsoft website to get an idea of the paths you can follow and the guys here are always happy to help out. Welcome to certforums

Oh and to answer you original question. There are no pre-requisites for the Microsoft exams just study,book and hopefully pass:biggrin

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  8. mazuk

mazuk New Member

Even though it seems weird to take this vista exam first to me i feel there is a need to think about the future i can see where everyone is coming from talking about xp and the fact it will be around for some time but i am young and just started as 1st line support.

I am not expecting to become einstein after taking this but i mean i have already got the stuff for the exam so i am going to focus on this exam and maybe take some xp ones. i dont think im doing anything wrong by taking a vista exam first i mean im new to all this but i see gaining knowledge about vista will help a lot at this moment in time when people are first experiencing it and knowledge is limited. i have a general interest in learning vista as it is new and seems more of challenge