Looking for advice on company switch

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by itguytothemax, May 23, 2009.

1. itguytothemax

itguytothemax New Member

Hello everyone, my first post. I'm thinking about switching jobs, and am looking for advice.

Here's a short summary:

I graduated about a year ago, with close to a 4.0 GPA with a master's in comp sci at a well recognized school

I've been at my current IT job for a year (the company is a large software company who's name is recognized)
    It's not too taxing of a job, but it is quite boring, and does not require a lot of creativity (something on which I thrive)
    I've already been promoted, and get along well with my coworkers and boss. My pay is slightly above average.

I'm thinking of switching careers to a medium-sized IT company which would provide better pay (~20% better?), and a better "living area" (city vs. in-the-middle-of-nowhere-country), and in which creativity is a requirement. This company is invovled in a burgeoning field which I see becoming quite important in the years to come.

At the risk of being too off-topic here, anyone familiar with the most dangerous time to have engine problems in a plane? It's when it's taking off (or landing, but let's focus on taking off here... :)). I feel that that's my predicament now--I'm "taking off" in my career now. If I switch companies, and then get laid off (company focus shifts, it looses funding, etc) soon after I switch, I'll have two jobs in a row in which I did not spend a large amount of time. That could severly hurt my future prospects.

I can stay at my current job for a couple more years, and it could look great on my resume. I'd also likely be miserable and lonely for those years. I could take a risk, take the new job, make more money, and be closer to family, and the thousands of others in the city. But if I lost the new job, it could be harder to find future employement.

Any thoughts? Thanks for reading :eek:

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

To be honest, there is always going to be a level of uncertainty when moving jobs. Then again who's to say that the company that you're currently working at won't lay people off in the near future? Plus whose to say that the new company will be better after the settling in period is over?

While I can't or won't say yes or no to your question (only you can answer that), just basing it on the brief overview of what you've said, if it was me, I would go for it - but that's just me.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security