looking for a start

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Patrulheiro, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Patrulheiro

Patrulheiro Bit Poster

I'm graduate in IT but I've been working with catering business for the past 6 years and now I'm desperate to get back on track. I'm studying for the A+ so I can add more knowledge to my CV but I KNOW that this will not get me started within the IT Industry. The situation is that I'm really concern in how I will get my first IT Job with no experience, I do think about start with some volunteer work to put my hands on and to feel how is like to work in this kind of role. I have been offered a IT course that will take me through A+ and MCDST for a period of 18 months (but it all depends of my speed as well, I’m planning to get all in 12 months) with on-line support, tutors to help me when I need and so on, and the main thing is that they offer a good recruitment team that works with me to get me started, of course that's loads of promises but I don't really count on it, and also there's a cost of 2750 for all of it!!! Now, I could start doing it all by myself, get the books, start to building a lab where I could practice what I learned, but I'll still be concerned about how to get my first job. I’m based in London, is there any good recruitment center for IT that you guys have experience with?? Should I pay all this money to get my certs and the help that they are offering me, is it worth it??

Many thanks in advance!!!8)

2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

You could easily study for the a+ and mcdst for well under half that amount if you do it yourself. Buy some books maybe £150 tops for them then a reasonable 2nd hand pc for about £100, (two and a switch if your feeling saucy). then the cost of the exams.

You are definately on the right track with volunteering. There is a volunteer website http://www.do-it.org.uk/ which you can have a look at, by doing volunteer work it shows you are keen and eager to work in IT.

Would write more but gotta dash and fix another kiosk, at least its not raining!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Patrulheiro

Patrulheiro Bit Poster

Thanks for the web site dales... I'm thinking more and more about self studying, but still concerned about my first job, how to get into IT!!! But with the help I got in here, I'm sure I'll be on the right track!!!

Cheers.

4. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Maybe I'm cynical, as years ago I chose a training centre which 'guaranteed work placements' and miserably failed to do so.

Probably their recruitment team will be dealing with the same vacancies as other recruitment agents, as it's unlikely that companies will create entry-level roles specifically for them. Also, there seem to be a lot of helpdesk roles for people without much of a technical background - basically just call-logging - so you would be at an advantage with your certs, and hopefully be able to progress more quickly than your colleagues.

Volunteering will definitely help to gain you more experience, and increase the jobs open to you - also, if you can find friends' computers to fix and play with etc, you can put that down as freelance work :tune

(And thanks for the website, Dales!!)

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  5. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Solution:

Obtain the highly valued entry-level certs. These are the A+, N+ and MCDST. I'm of the view that self-study is the best method of training as it's a hell of a lot cheaper than parting with your hard-earned cash, paying somebody else (training providers) to send you the resources (books, practice exams, etc).

There's also absolutely NO reason for you not being able to land yourself an entry-level job. Start applying for these jobs NOW. Entry-level jobs are typically: Service Desk Analysts (Helpdesk), Junior PC Technicians and Trainee Desktop Support Engineers.

In addition to applying for suitable jobs it's also probably worth uploading your CV to 2 or 3 recruitment sites. That way potential employers can find you, saving you time, effort and hassle.

Hope the above helps. Best of luck.

- Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  6. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

And anyway, between this forum and Google, you'll get plenty of online support! :D

Alex has a good point - start looking now and try to get what you can, that way you're already sort of working in the field while you study. Putting 'I'm going to start studying these courses..' on your CV probably isn't worth much, but if you can talk about what you've covered already in the interview, that will get you more brownie points and show more dedication.

If you need help with your CV, post it on here - I like rehashing people's CVs :)

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would apply for some helpdesk jobs if you can find any that are being advertised in your area. The IT degree should be enough to get you noticed. Expect to be asked why you didn’t move into IT after graduated though. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Patrulheiro

Patrulheiro Bit Poster

3 years ago I've done 2 interviews for IT Support, it is something that I like to do once a while to send my CV and see the reaction from the industry, and the first thing they asked me was why I didn't work in IT when I finish uni!!! I'm well prepared to answer that without a problem, but the lack of experience is what makes my CV looks bad!
    I will work on my CV and post it here for you guys to take a look on it, and also start to look for something RIGHT NOW!! I guess I have decided already to go for self-studying so expect me here asking loads of questions!!
    Just want to thank you guys for all the information so far, it is been really helpful!!!

Expect to hear from me soon!!!

Cheers!!!

9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

This company may be actually very good, you never know. Also self study is not for everyone. Good luck if you do go down the self study route which seems what you have already settled on. It's certainly a much cheaper way of gaining the certs. Experience really is the key though, certs are bonus, experince is the king. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada