Looking at Taking N+ Next Wednesday. . .

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Luddym, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey chaps,

I'm looking at taking my N+ next week, but still havent manages to master the OSI. I can feel it just out the reach of my grasp, and just waiting to be mastered, but I just havent managed it yet.

Did anyone have any special techniques for doing so? I know the APSTNDP All People seem to need data processing. And know what level each is in relation to its layer.
    Ie Layer 1 Physical.

But it is the actual processes of the layers i can't remember. Readin the OSI model I understand it at the time, but just can't remember the stuff.

Anyone have the same problem?

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I had a different problem - remembering the names and their order. The APSTNDP mnemonic sorted that for me.

The putting of some protocols into the correct layer was less of a problem, as I had been dealing with the protocol stacks for many years!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Yes, and I still do. Thats why I have an OSI table stuck on the wall next to me.

As for remembering the stuff, I used to write it out every day at various times.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

No special tips, Luddy - just sheer good ol' preparation, I'm afraid :)

Very best of luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

If you feel that is your only Achilles heal, you should make that the very last thing you cram before sitting the exam. I don't mean cram it just before you leave home, I mean cram everything the day before, but make the very last thing the OSI model. Then rest, and do the exam the next day, it will give your brain a chance to sort it all out as you sleep.

Good luck!!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Try memorizing key words for each layer to help you remember the concepts and words that are easily associated with each layer. The physical layer is easy. Just think of what happens physically in networking. It's electrical for the most part. Data-Link can be tricky because it's actually two layers in one. Even remembering just a few protocols from each layer will help as long as you know what the protocols do. Memory is all a matter of repitition and association.

Good luck :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

LuddyM,

Try understanding the processing relationship between the layers in terms of "encapsulation" and "decapsulation." As you may recall, encapsulation is the process of going from a higher OSI layer to a lower OSI layer. Therefore, decapsulation is the process of going from a lower OSI layer to a higher OSI layer. Let's try to understand the encapsulation process and decapsulation process in relation to the process of posting on CertForums.

At the highest [IT]* OSI Layer is the Application layer. I am currently using the Application called "Internet Explorer." After I type what I'm replying with in this editor window and click the [Submit Reply] button, the text gets transformed into some sort of file format which is a Presentation layer. Then, after my reply has become "digitized" into a file format, the Session layer initiates the connection to the other computer, in this case, to the CertForums webserver. After the Session is established, my "digitized" post gets chopped up into Transport segments. Each segment is labeled from 1 to as many it needs to transmit the whole post to CertForums. Think of putting pieces of my post into standard sized boxes. Since CertForums is a website, TCP port 80 is used. Now after all the boxes are packed and labeled with a number, they are loaded into "virtual" delivery trucks known as Network Packets. Each packet contains the source IP address and the destination IP address. Then the "delivery truck" then "gets on the highway" by becoming a Datalink frame. Frames contain the source MAC address and is sent down the Physical wire as bits.

Then through the magic of switching and routing of networking/internetworking/internet**, somehow the bits get to the CertForums server. So the Physical bits get decapsulated to Datalink Frames. The Datalink Frames gets decapsulated into Network Packets. The Network Packets gets decapsulated into Transport Segments using TCP Port 80. The Transport Segments gets decapsulated into Session. Session gets decapsulated into a Presentation "post file format." Finally, the Presentation "post file format" gets decapsulated into the Application layer by converting the "post file format" into HTML so that your web browser can display my post to you.

I hope this helps.

Notes:
    * Some say there's the OSI Layers 8 & 9 are Politics and Money, but I don't think that's relevant for a CompTIA exam.
    ** There are some really in depth knowledge related to networking, in the Cisco world, all the way to CCIE so I tried to keep the example simple for now to help explain what I'm trying to convey.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  8. mrobinson52

mrobinson52 Security Maven Gold Member

Raises hand and waves wildly!!! I do! It really is hard to nail down. What I have found helpful is to try to make your own flow chart showing what is happening at what level. There will be an extra emphasis on the networking sublayers and on TCP/UDP/IP.

And do not forget to memorize the well known ports, since they LOVE to test on those. CompTIA tests are heavy into memorization, so hit the Ginko Biloba heavy! And good luck! This is a great cert to have, and it will be a great help in all your future certs! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA:Security, Security+
    WIP: CISSP
  9. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Thanks guys,

I'll br trying all your suggestions, one after the other :D in the hope that i'll manage to get to grips with the horned beast. :twisted:

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

LOL now go to bed, heaven knows what time it is there :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Lol.

It is precisely 3:44am now. (which is quite some time after your message.) :twisted:

12. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Ludd,

Im sitting the N+ the friday after you so if you wouldnt mind.... sneak a camera into the test center and picture each question to send me plz???? :twisted:

Just let me know if anything "unusual" crops up in it. I've been caught out before by getting unexpected questions subjects.

As for the OSI i think i've almost got that now.... My problem is protocols now.... and nearly everthing on objective 3!!!
    Im goin back to re-reading the MEyers book this week.. make it the 3rd time in a month!!!

Well good luck m8 lets hope we both do well!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  13. Tommo

Tommo New Member

Hi passed network+ on wed, like everyone says know your osi & protocals, also as they say an Apple aday ............
    Best of luck
    ps I had 85 questions on mine

Certifications: MCP MCDST, Network +
    WIP: CCNA Security+ CWNA
  14. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Just as a matter of interest, are they all multiple choice? CompTIA objectives seems to imply they are but what exactly does "Conventional; situational and identification multiple-choice questions" mean as an exam format?

Lord Deckard.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  15. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I see you have taken A+. Net+ is in a practicaly identical format.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+