Longhorn / Server 2007

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by oggler, Mar 12, 2007.

1. oggler

oggler Byte Poster

I read somewhere that longhorn has been officially named as Windows Server 2007. For the life of me I cannot place it. Any one any ideas?

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCSA W2k3-Security, CEH
    WIP: CWNA, CWSP, CISSP
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

you are indeed correct:

here

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

My question is...

What can they change or add to make the new server OS better? I think server 2003 is good as it is.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  4. oggler

oggler Byte Poster

Thanks for the link. We were discussing this at work and wondering about getting it on a trial basis when it gets released

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCSA W2k3-Security, CEH
    WIP: CWNA, CWSP, CISSP
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Change the kernel to Linux?

Harry. (running away fast)

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Funny you should mention that Harry but I've heard that M$ actually started with a *nix kernel when they developed NT. (I'm not joking either)

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I thought it was OS/2. NT was originally going to be OS/2 version 3.0.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

A lot of the old NT stuff was unix based (not linux), that was, afterall the predominant network operating system around at the time

thats why certain caveats have always been present in the console that gave it away

there are lots of exciting features in Longhorn that I'm looking forward to, the Virtualisation services, Windows Remote Management, WDS (sort of like RIS on steroids), integrated Powershell
    Longhorn Core, its shaping up to be a very nice edition

Beta copies are available on MSDN and I imagine Technet as part of the CTP stuff, that would be my first point of call if you want to get hold of a copy

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

They are also releasing what they call the 'core' server OS'. These are basically servers designed to perform a very specific function, and have only what is required to do that function (eg dhcp server). These stripped back servers are incredibly basic, and therefore (theoretically) more stable and secure:

For More Info Click Here

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Microsoft is on the rampage:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

From the beta testing I've done there are two specific functions which I feel will be widely praised. The first being the servercore installs which allow for a cut down operating environment (specific roles only). The second is the new enhanced features of Terminal Services such as remote applications. This allows for a thin client deployment using TS, including access over the web via a web interface.

http://redmondmag.com/features/article.asp?EditorialsID=640
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/longhorn/terminal-services/default.mspx