Longhorn Core Server

Discussion in 'Software' started by fortch, Sep 20, 2006.

1. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

from Windows Networking

Way cool, and although the functionality is a bit limited, it's a great direction to be heading in. 8)

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmmm, is there a cost saving in the licencing?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

I doubt that because you are still getting the whole product, your just using it todo one thing instead of a few things :D

Certifications: None As Yet
    WIP: MCTS: 70-536 & 70-526
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Not been around much lately - the job has got in the way (and it looks like I'll be moving on to another one soon as well - watch this space)

My tuppen'orth on this is that MS will start to look at appliance-based stripped down O/Ses seriously in the next couple of years. Whilst the 'lights out' version of Longhorn won't be any cheaper than the full bloatware version, I suspect that when MS gets round to releasing 'WindowsForDHCPServices' and 'WindowsForDNSServices' etc etc there will be a reduced cost for Software Assurance customers.

I've started to see a lot of requests for information from private clients in the SME market about something along the lines of Infoblox's DHCP appliance (gawd alone knows why, being smallish, none of them have the Compliance issues that usually result in the stampede to buy one of these little boxes of tricks).

I think a lot of server admins are starting to realise that running everything on one box probably isn't the best thing to be doing (although I have one private client who runs EVERYTHING on one box - Exchange, DNS, DHCP, DC, SQL - you name it its on there and its NOT an SBS box!)

You know MS - if they sniff a new revenue stream, they'll be in like Flynn before you can blink...

incidentally - anyone supported WEPOS? Job I'm probably moving to is a retail envrionment and I'll be responsbile for the build on the POS terminals. I've worked with WinPOS before, but Windows' POS o/s is totally new to me. I suspect it won't be much other than an even more stripped-down version of XPe, but it might be nice to get a heads-up from anyone who's worked in Big Retail and has had to support it...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Glad to see you posting again Zeb, drat work, it always gets in the way of play :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

Its just a very stripped down version of Windows XP embedded with an interface to match the job role its doing.

Thats basically it.

Certifications: None As Yet
    WIP: MCTS: 70-536 & 70-526