London skyline in 2012

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Maruchino, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Maruchino

Maruchino Bit Poster

Here's an artists impression of what the London skyline will look like in 2012. Bear in mind these buildings have all cleared planning permission so will be built by that time (or at least should be, we all know what happened with Wembley). My question is, do you back Prince Charles' view that we are going too high too quick and that it will be an eyesore? Or do you see it as 'the future of London' and embrace our new fangled skyscrapers?

I'm really not sure. Make your own minds up:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/London_skyline_2012_panorama.jpg

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Thats not london in 2012, wheres the smog ? :biggrin

3. Maruchino

Maruchino Bit Poster

Ken Livingstone in 2010 had every car crushed as part of the 'congestion smash'.

4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

lol...never mind that...its missing a few more skyscrapers towards the left of the picture...especially where the 3 tall apartment buildings next to the Barbican reside...one of which is named after our very own Bard :biggrin otherwise its not bad looking...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'm not really against it
    MANY cities have balanced there cultural heritage with modern needs, and being London has been a pain to build high on in previous decades, technological advances have meant we can get a bit done, I don't see it as a bad thing really

skylines evolve, thats life.. as long as London looks after its heritage I think we can get the best of both worlds, a world class city for the 21st century, with hundreds of years of history wherever you look

Bring it on!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Im all for it, the more London develops the more jobs etc will be produced, all good.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. Maruchino

Maruchino Bit Poster

So long as it doesn't end up as empty commercial floorspace like much of the south east. Then again I guess central London is decoupled from the surrounding area regarding things like that.

8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Makes no odds to me what happens in 'The City' (as if its the only city in the country, or at least the only country worthy of note - a tad arrogant I think). They could level all it overnight and replace it with a giant whorehouse shaped like a gimungous pair of knockers, and it wouldnt really bother me much. Thats mainly because I like nowhere near it.

Actually, thinking about it, that might actually be quite interesting to see. Think of the tourism.

To be honest though, with our population increasing, high-rises are inevitable. Even if we were to hold off and spread outward, we'll eventually consume all the countryside and have one big city. and still our population will grow. High-rises for offices/residences are an economical way of putting much much more people into a smaller area.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Strange you say that, where ever I've been whether its London, Norwich, Liverpool, Manchester or Dublin among others, people all refer to the closest business city as "the city". I've never for once thought it was just a London thing...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  10. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I've only ever heard of it in relation to London. I've also heard it used on things like the news, im sure.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I wouldn't worry about that skyline tbh. Most of the new buildings that are allegedly going up (provided they don't get pulled because of global recession lol) are infinitely nicer than the horrible eyesores that were flung up in the sixties & seventies - just look at the state of the ones on the South Bank next to Festival Hall or the Barbican high-rises...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Isn't that pointy building off to the right the TransAm Building (from the San Francisco skyline)? :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Not quite! :biggrin It's known as "The shard of glass" . Details here.

It has been a rather on/off/on project, with the current buisiness slowdown causing all sorts of delays.

Wikipedia has some info and history as well.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  14. hbroomhall

I don't see the (somewhat ugly) proposed 'Walkie-talkie' tower on that pic....

Harry.

15. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

With all the high-rise stuff, I can't believe that *none* of you have mentioned the Fifth Element.

I can't see the skyline looking like that being a bad thing... you need to come a bit closer to the ground to sort the issue.

If that's 2012 - and presumably there will be more people in the City (sorry Fergal) occupying these premises... and the Olympics is going to be in town... I hope they are seriously going over the traffic infrastructure, and not just stargazing. I got caught in mash on the Tube this morning in a *normal* bunch of rush hour commuters. If they don't improve things, people are gonna start popping out of the windows, the trains are getting that full.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  16. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

That's exactly the view I'm looking at at the moment from my office (well, without the new buildings!)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  17. hbroomhall

Er - this is 'government', and civil-servants. What do you *expect* to happen? :p

"The Overground" and Crossrail should help - if they are finished on time. But I'm already seeing reports for some projects saying that they won't be ready.

Harry.

18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

When I have to drive to Nashville, I say, "I'm going to Nashville"... I don't just call it "the city".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I was thinking the same thing! :blink

20. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Might be local slang, but even my family in New Castle will refer to London as "the city". Which, according to them, is overpriced & too crowded. I see their point when London's population is over 7M and the next highest populated city is Birmingham which is less than 1M.