Logon to multiple domains in XP

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Elhaj, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

Hi guys,

I just wanna know how to show a drop-down list in xp logon with a list of available multiple domains, rather than just one domain and local option. I thought about changing the name of domain in the system properties every time you need to log on to a different one but I am sure this is not do-able in a corporate environment(amount of time changing setting and support wise).
    I have looked on the net and googled it but didnt get a clear instructions. sorry if I posted in the wrong place but I am sure many of you here would know the answer.

Thanks

Certifications: Bsc Economics, MCDST
    WIP: what's the point?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The PC needs to be a member of a domain that is in a forest with other domains, therefore you can chose which domain to logon to.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

Thanks sparky,
    I think I understood what you said but not a single clue how to implement this.
    I am thinking since this is done automatically with a single domain, is it still the case with multiple domains? or needs advanced configuration to perform?

cheers

4. Sparky

If you have a single domain just now add another domain, run dcromo and follow the instructions on how to add a child domain. After that your PC should have the option to log into both domains.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

Thanks for your help.:)
    (I believe you meant dcpromo.exe!!)

6. Sparky

Yup, typo! :biggrin

You do need to run it on another server so that can be the first DC in your child domain.