Logical stepping stone from support

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by michael78, Aug 8, 2006.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Guys, when I got into this game we call IT and I gave myself a 5 year max working in IT support dealing with user problems. I want to move on and get away from dealing with peoples problems and get into something where I have less contact with people. I don't mind doing support but don't want it as my main exclusive job.

My question is what areas do you think are the logical step in moving on or what areas are going to be big in the future so that I can think about where to steer my career in the future. Any advice is much appreciated...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

See my responce to Mattwest's thread here, I think that it also applies to your situation. 8)

3. michael78

Simon, think you may have hit the nail on the head. I think I need to maybe do a little managment and move into a sort of network managers role. I've always wanted to work at a college where maybe I can do a little teaching as well in the future. Cheers for the response...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'll just say one thing about working in a school, you may be a network manager, but you still get lumbered with end user support. :biggrin

5. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

And kids.... and teachers.... come to think of it the kids were more IT literate than the students! :biggrin

Although the 6 weeks school holidays were great, just me and the school receptionist in the building. Music on, shorts on.... :D

Bliss! ;-)

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  6. michael78

Sounds good to me...:biggrin

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I don’t think that will ever happen mate, even when you leave the safety of the server room there are always users waiting to jump on you with their IT problems! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'll second that, short, flipflops and 200GB of MP3's to waste the day away!!

On a serious note, I work in a school as a network manager and its not like any other job I've ever had or ever will have. You don't get that pressure you have in commercial business to get things done to make a profit. you have a half decent budget every year depending on the school your working for and having 10 or more weeks a year when nobody is around is bliss.

Saying that, you will find that a lot of teachers are very IT illiterate, don't want to learn anything IT based and cant see why they would want to. A lot of the administration staff are the untrained so expect to do some staff training as well and depending on the headteacher you may find it hard to get accross your needs and the importance of your role!! (talking about my head here).

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  9. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Also when it comes to working in a school, there will probably be times when you might be asked to help out in lessons etc, maybe a class is in progress and some new piece of software is causing problems.

I used to find something would go wrong so i'd go to fix it and end up in the classroom for half the lesson helping the kids with features etc. Not really my job to do that but i found it quite rewarding...

I agree with SimonV, not the same pressure for results but you do get lots of last minute tasks - "Help we have a presentation in 2 minutes and the projector deson't work!"

How i miss those days! :biggrin

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  10. michael78

I fancy working in a college more than a school as I think the kids would drive me mad. The other thing I was thinking about is project management as I have a degree in Business and so it is a head start plus it sounds interesting and still keeps my foot in IT.