logging in to a domain wirelessly

Discussion in 'Software' started by beaker, Jan 23, 2008.

1. beaker

beaker Bit Poster

Hello,
    I wasn't sure which forum to put this in so apologies if it's in the wrong one. Anyway, I've just set up a Samba Domain Controller on a linux server with serveral Windows XP clients to connect wirelessly. On the clients, Windows starts up with the logon screen but of course i can't login to the domain because the wireless connection isn't established until after windows loads up. Is there a way to connect to the wireless network on startup? I found an earlier thread on this but its from over 2 years ago and it wasn't really resolved and I know there must be many more domains using wireless since 2005 so i thought it was worth posting a new thread

thanks

Certifications: A+, N+, Linux+
    WIP: MCSA
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Cant say I've ever had that problem with my t23 with wifi card, I installed 2k3 on it and can login as any user from cold boot. But perhaps if the same users will use the machines can you plug them into the cable lan and get them to logon so it uses cached creds the next time it boots. whether thats no in linux though im not sure.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, cached credentials is how XP handles it in a Windows-based domain.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Exactly. The same applies for laptops on the domain who arent connected when you first log in.

Use a cable to log the laptop on as the user for the first time, you should find that after that it all works fine, even though the wireless hasnt been initialised yet.

That said, there are apparently settings with wireless connections to connect to the wireless network before logon, but i never managed to get it to work. Also, depending on the setup of the wireless authentication (ie if it uses a RADIUS server) then it might not be possible to connect until after login anyway.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Just out of interest, what wireless on-board card is the wireless connection?. Where I work, using cached credentials isn't really an option for our wireless laptops, so we try to use laptops that use the Intel Pro Wireless chipset, as these initialise at boot-up, rather than logon. As such we have very little (basically only user based) problems.

Hope this helps

Certifications: HND Computing
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, we have the same on our Dell laptops so no need for cached credentials. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You could use cached creds with Windows XP, however if there are any GPO's/Logon scripts that need to be run they won't run unless you're connected to the network.

This is where PLC comes in.

In order to set this up you have to download and install the drivers from the manufacturer* and not just use the windows standard drivers.

-Ken

*Please be aware that not all manufacturer's product that functionality into their wireless network cards.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thats very interesting MLP thanks!

and thanks to Ken too for the link 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

No problem.

Just glad I can finally help someone.:D

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  10. beaker

beaker Bit Poster

thanks for the replies folks. Connecting wired for one time only and then wirelessly after that works great. Luckily roaming profiles are not required so i didn't have to login as every user on every machine

Certifications: A+, N+, Linux+
    WIP: MCSA
  11. Gaucho

Gaucho Bit Poster

Hi all,

I have just got round this problem for the first time, been annoying me for quite some time.
    Up till now I have been using scripts on laptops to connect drives after boot and usually the user has to click to refresh there drives. Problem their is these scripts contain their passwords in plain text.

How I got round this -
    1. Set laptop to use windows zero configuration
    2. Set netlogon service to be dependant on windows zero configuration, so zero config starts before login.
    3. Set access point to give out my 2003 server ip as first DNS, so laptop can find DC to logon.
    4. Make sure firewall on access point is allowing all traffic from wlan to lan.
    5. Bingo scritps run when I log on.

Wouldn't like to have to set it up on loads of laptops but it works great.

Gaucho

Certifications: A+ N+ MCSE
    WIP: Exchange