Log onto Windows

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

my friend was able to log on to his computer which was under a domain... he had viruses on the pc, now it is at my place, and i changed his domain into a workgroup instead, and now i cant log in!

help!

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

whats the error message?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Mr.Cheeks

the normal
    There is no drop down menu for domain, there was before i chainged his domain to workgroup :(

4. Mr.Cheeks

BTW: the cd rom is doesnt work aswell... :cry:

5. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

so are you saying that you cant log on to the computer locally or the domain?

6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

The drop down box only appears after you join a domain, try logging in using another administrator account, it seems as though there are authentication problems, also make sure that the network cable is properly connected and that there is nothing like a firewall or something blocking you.

PS:administrator account as in domain administrator account.

anyways good luck if nothing write back.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  7. Mr.Cheeks

locally...

username and password are correct
    was given a domain dropdown box - not now - zilt, nothing just username and password box

8. Mr.Cheeks

the dude only knows his username and password -
    if i connect him to my network (workgroup) still cannot get in

9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

If localy the user name and pass might be different, I dont think he used the same user name and pass if he did then there could be something else.

10. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

type in to the username field USERNAME@COMPUTERNAME.
    Replace username with a user name try administrator and another user and put the password as what ever it is

11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

thats the thing if he only has a domain user name and password he wont be able to login to your network or localy as long as the pass and username is not the same as the local username and password, if I am getting something wrong then correct me but from what it seems is that he only has the correct username and password for the domain not the local user account.

12. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Can you clarify something for me here Cheek? Is the PC still at your place connected to your Workgroup? If so, you're not going to get a choice of Domain to log onto cos their ain't one. I'm assuming you don't know the local admin username/password, am I right?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  13. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

ok then if youve only got a domain password do this:

type in to the username field USERNAME@DOMAINNAME.
    Replace username with youre domain username and and put the password as what ever it is. Then you should beable to login to the domain

14. Mr.Cheeks

the laptop is in my house. right next to me. its connected to my workgroup. and yes i dont know the local admin username/password however, he said he's got admin rights anyway.

15. Mr.Cheeks

there isn't a domain, its my network which is a "WORKGROUP"... i tried aa008329@GNO then the password and no joy...

16. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Sorry correct me if I am wrong, but if he only has domain credetials like user name and password and its different from the local account you wont be able to log on anywhere except by being connected to his domain.

Good Luck Cheek.

17. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

yer but if the user has ever logged on before there should be a cached copy of the password and username still on the machine so you will be able 2 login with that user name and password

18. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

yeah you can type administrator for the username and leave the password blank if he didnt make one during the installation if he did you have to type that password in.

Try this:

Username:administrator
    Password:leave the password blank

19. Mr.Cheeks

tried that - this laptop was given to him by his company some 3 years ago, and was workig fine until his lent it to someone who started to look at those wonderful things in life on the internet :twisted:

i would just format everything, but i need to get his data off his computer, i cant boot from CD as his CDROM is knacked - his bios doesn't support booting from mem pen, so im screwed in those ways... ...well he is more screwed than me, but im screwed cuz it *did* work when he gave me...

oh yeah - there is no bloody floppy! why they take them out for.. i dont know, i still use them, and i still think that they kick ass

20. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You can use a program called Winternals ERD Commander 2003 or 2005 it logs in to windows without having to type the username and pass and it has a utility to called locksmith that allows you to reset the password. Look in to that.

"Edit" sorry forgot about the cdrom :dry