Locking XP standalone machine, multiple users

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Boycie, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Some time ago (before the site fell down) i posted about locking down a standalone XP machine with multiple users. I remember D-Faktor saying to alter permissions to make sure I (the administrator) doesn't get locked out of Group policy. I don't need to use the machine so it can be locked down quite a bit, but i need a way of *getting back* in to Gpedit.msc as and when required.
    I have searched for the post but it seems to have been lost when the site crashed.

The general advice *googling* is that a standalone machine is pretty limited for Group policy as the computer configuration will always overide the user config.

Any advice?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I have used Microsoft's shared computer toolkit very successfuly for this. The nice thing is that the 'admin' can easily access things, and update the machine without too much trouble.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

thanks Harry, the link is dead at the moment; will retry later :thumbleft
    Is it as powerful as gpedit?

Edit;

Link OK now. I will download and take a look, thanks.

4. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

and in case you were still wondering what i had said in that post, i think, if i remember correctly, i said something about denying read access on the %systemroot%\system32\grouppolicy\ (machine or user) \registry.pol file(s).

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - it is a (fairly crude) GUI in front of a lot of scripts. Nice and easy to use even if you have no knowledge of policies.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I seem to remember that was the problem i had with the deny permission. I got locked out too... :oops: