Locking down USB ports

Discussion in 'Software' started by madman045, Sep 25, 2008.

1. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

Can anyone recommend a product that will stop people using USB storage devices, but can be turned on and off where needed?

I have a client that needs the computers in the office to not allow USB storage devices, but will work with keyboard, mouse etc..

Now I dont want it applying to every computer as some users (director) need this access

They are running SBS 2003 R2 and XP Clients

Thanks

Andy

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

DeviceWall is probably the market leader - but its not cheap (depending on how many users you have - it gets cheaper per seat the more seats you have)

If you're a Vista shop, you could look at using the granular GPOs that allow you to lock devices down to the nth degree (even allowing only specific revisions of specifc models of devices from specific manufacturers)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Assuming they are part of a domain ? Group Policy would seem your best bet.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

as your in a sbs environment what about [​IMG]
    Just a quick twist of the wrist and usb is a worry no more, a slight unfortunate side effect is that you wont be able to turn them on again!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

GPO or superglue in the ports ;)

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Nice idea - if it weren't for the fact that most keyboards & mice nowadays are USB only - and plenty of desktops now ship without PS/2 ports at all...

8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Well I was speaking from my business point of view - right up to last year we always shipped ASUS units with ps2 ports and never supplied usb kb/mice

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  9. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Looked at the German site. Looks OK. Some adm files to activate the USB ports and some links to other solutions. One even to give only access to specific drive (by means of a special .cfg file).

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I once brought this concern up with my last IT manager regarding the possibility of employees using USB wireless adapters or USB keys to copy medical record data. His solution: "Well... I think I'd just have to kill them."

Well... at least that would solve the problem! :thumbleft :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - I LIKE that solution!

Think about it - it can be adapted to fit so many different scenarios.

Problem: "Look - I know you told me that the Exchange server was slowing down and I need to reduce the size of my mailbox by archiving to .pst, but I've done this and I really can't get my mailbox below 6Gb"
    Solution: "Well... I think I'll just have to kill you."

Problem: "I know you said we were running a secure network, but the guys in development wanted to use their laptops when they were in the toilet, so I put a little Netgear wireless router in. What's that? Encryption? - WEP schmep. No-one wants to use encryption - it slows performance down"

Problem: "The lead on the kettle in the kitchen has broken, so I thought I'd come to you to ask you to fix it, since you work in IT."

Ya see? It works for every situation. Cheers Mike - that's my new 'go to' phrase :biggrin

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

We could be onto something here...

Problem: "I'm thinking about bringing in my Mac from home to use in the office, can you connect it to the network for me so I can get email and all that jazz?"

8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

It works!

That's it - I'm getting T-shirts printed.

14. BosonMichael

Ooh! Ooh! I want two!!!

I just called my former IT manager... had a good laugh that he's now been immortalized. :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. BosonMichael

"I can't log in... AGAIN. I know you guys are changing my password." [side note: yes, this WAS said to me!]
    "We have better things to do than change your password. But to solve the problem... I guess I'll just have to kill you."

16. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

LOL I think Zeb is right that will solve all kinds of problems! And just to imagine the reactions.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  17. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

My company uses a product from Centennial called DeviceWall.

http://www.devicewall.com/

It's class! :)

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  18. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for all of the replies, seems devicewall it just the ticket, just got to get them to buy it now..

Andy

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  19. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

(ahem) just before I pulled this thread completely off-track, you will note that I suggested DeviceWall (post #2)

Its easy to install, easy to configure and (reasonably) easy to manage. I implemented it at the last place i worked because of concerns over podslurping - you wouldn't believe the amount of unauthorised devices it picked up on its first sweep...

20. BosonMichael

...which gives you plenty of targets to have to go kill. :twisted: