.local and workgroup/domain

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Mr.Cheeks, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

1 - when i first started to learn about network i started to name all my nodes cheeks1 cheeks2 cheeks3 etc, now i use a suitable name ; in my instance, name of computer toshiba_satellite, cheeks_p4 stuff like that.

i read here on CF some time ago that it is a good idea to add .local at the end of the name, but i cant find the thread, does anyone know the reason to this???

2 - my works laptop that i use at home normally is connected to a domain, but when i go home i log into a local account. the way i can access my shares is by start -> run -> \\servername but i cannot access this via network neighbourhood.

What happens is i click on

network neighbourhood -> entire network -> and then the domain that i log into is shown...

i dont want to select join workgroup (my computer properties) (i can remember what happened last time and not planning on going there again), is there any way of doing this???

Cheers...

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This is if you are creating a domain, it's a good idea to use something like mydomain.local rather than mydomain.com as local DNS queries can get confused if you use Internet domains for your local domain.

Also, it gets complicted if you intend to have a public web site and domain mycompany.com in the future.

So, it's a way of separating your local DNS namespace from the Internet.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

LOL yes you should be careful and not play around too much with joining workgroups when you are using your company's laptop, as we know that it can break your domain profile.

Have you considered mapping a drive to your local home shares?

4. Mr.Cheeks

hmmm, i'll note which drives are free when i login tomorrow and use those ones for my home account, but say

i map T:\ to \\cheeks_p4\music (local account) and when i login into work and they give me access to a folder on the network and thats also T:\ (logged into domain) how does this affect me?

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It shouldn't affect your domain profile.

6. Mr.Cheeks

Cheers for that then mate - i check it at work tomorrow and use the drives which are not allocated ....yet