livebox

Discussion in 'Networks' started by leosdelsol, Aug 8, 2009.

1. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

I was at a customers house tonight trying to help her out. Basicly she has a laptop and asked me to purchase a usb wireless adapter (netgear) for her in order for her to have wireless access. I tired the adapter at mine first with my o2 wireless box. Installed usb driver and off It went connected no problem. I took it to hers and tried to set it up. She has an orange livebox. I plugged in the adapter and initally it wasnt dectecting any network at all. I logged into the router and disabled wireless security (WPA) and cleared the key. After applying this configuration I could now see the network but when selecting connect I was given the error message wireless network unavailable and it refused to connect. After doing a bit of reading I realised you have to hit the PAIR button on the router. After hitting the pair button I was able to connect to the network i was given a connection speed, signal strength and the connected messge when hovering over the wirless icon in the notification area. But for some reason I am not receiving dhcp settings from the box :( my first thoughts were that the WPA/WEP key must still be active but I checked again and security was disabled. I tried manually setting the IP addy , subnet and default gateway but had no luck either.I also tried letting windows mange my wireless conection tick box but thats didnt work either. I am now thinking it might be the fact that its running on xp sp1???? Anyone got any ideas?????

Thanks in Advance
    Leo

Certifications: HND Computer networking, 70-271
    WIP: A+
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

So when you say you were able to connect to the network, what IP address were you given a 169.254.x.x address?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

when running ipconfig I was given media disconnected across all the avaialbe connections :(

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

With the orange livebox, when you want to add another wireless device you have to pair it with it. I believe to start the pairing mode on the live box, it's button 1 on the side of the unit.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

see above ^ :D

6. Kitkatninja

Have you tried a different device (eg another laptop, another Wireless card) to try to connect to the wireless network?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  7. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

another laptop with built in wi-fi it works fine :(

8. Kitkatninja

Did you pair it up with the livebox, or was it done already? Have you checked to see if MAC address security is turned on?

-ken

9. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

it was done already, yeah i checked that aswell:(