Linux+ vs. LPIC?

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Pete01, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Anyone able to tell me difference of LPIC1 and CompTIA Linux +?

Are the 2 comparable to Network+ and Cisco INTRO in that they're quite similar?

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

The LPIC and Linux+ are similar in that they test on Linux. Beyond that there are no similarities. A person actually has to know something about Linux to pass the LPIC cert. Linux+ is a mile wide and 1/2" deep, if you know what I mean.

This comes from someone who has neither cert, but has looked at the course requirements for both, so take it for what it's worth....

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

where i come from (the netherlands), the comptia exams mean virtually nothing. in all my years in this business i have never met anyone with a comptia cert, and i have never seen or heard about a job opening where a comptia cert was required or preferred. on the topic of linux, lpic is a common required cert here.

4. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Thanks. :thumbleft

5. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi,

As you can probably see, I have faced this decision and I decided Linux+.

Why? Firstly I had done A+ and Net+ and it looks nice to continue the trend!

Secondly, I could not find any dedicated study material for LPI, which although you can simply follow the objectives it means you could miss vital bits of information. Also they may have study material now, but they didnt when I looked...

Thirdly, and I do not want to offend anyone who is studying for LPI with this, but LPI seems to be taking an extremely long time sorting itself out, LPI level 3 seems to have been "Under development" for an extremely long time, and it does not seem to be doing much promotion of itself either which is concerning considering the speed at which Linux development seems to occur. It reminds me of the SAIR certification track which fell by the wayside...

CompTIA is at least making good headway with its A+, and this naturally follows. For example if someone said to an employer they had a U+ certification, I would immediately think it was CompTIA even though a) it does not exist and b) I would not know what the U stood for!!

Also I intend to specialize within the next year or so and pick a distribution and stick with it, and will probably try for a RHCE. Due to this, I believe it to be a waste to start what essentially is a full track progressing from level 1 to 3.

I can fully see the benefits of it however, a independent exam is a good idea, and if you do not intend on specializing by picking either Red Hat or SUSE (At the moment at least) at any point, I would say that the LPI track is a better choice.

However if you want a brief overview of Linux, with as someone else already mentioned, lots of content but little depth (Hardest thing I did during revising was kernel compiling), then Linux+ is the cert for you. I am sure it is an easier cert than LPI due to its testing methods and requirements.

Hope that helps...

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

just to add something.. and freddy proved it to us.. in linux world certs mean nothing! if you can learn what is needed and learn them WELL then it seems you set.. but thats easier said than done.. it took him 3+ years to get his foot in!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the answers guys.

8. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

For me it has to be the LPIC exams. After doing A+ and Network +, an exam I am sure was written by a group of 5 year olds and yes I did let CompTIA know. There is a huge amount of LPIC documentation about in the Open Source bit of the web.

We currently use RedHat at work linking to both UNIX and Window and they all work well.

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

something i would like to ask is lets take a person who has been *learning* a flavour of linux (debian,ubuntu,fedora,suse lets say) using a book specific to that flavour for about 6 months now or maybe a little less than that.. is the LPI level 1 suited to someone like that - meaning will the material be "graspable" or will they struggle to learn stuff? I know the Linux+ is *entry-level* just wondered how *entry-level* level 1 is?

10. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Take a look here to see how the focus of LPIC 1 relates to your current skill level, Zimbo.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  11. snoopy51

snoopy51 Bit Poster

Zimbo:

I worked with Linux for a year building several Linux servers using the LAMP system environment. I took the LPIC-1 cert just to test my knowledge and skill of Linux. I just use Fedora, Suse and Koppnix. This is what I knew back in 2004 and I reported in Tech-Unity:

Linux + is a certification offered by CompTIA. As far as they are concerned it is a basic certification that "Because Linux, by its nature, is vendor-independent, there was a strong need in the industry for a basic, comprehensive Linux certification. Becoming CompTIA Linux+ certified gives an individual a recognized industry credential that offers proof of knowledge and expertise in Linux technologies."

This is just one exam for a price of $207. Although, you can get some discount ifyou ship around the Internet.

LPI or Linux Professional Institue also offers certifications at three different level, LPIC 1 -Basic Entry Level, LPIC 2 - Intermediate Level, LPIC 3 - Advanced(currently under development).

To qualify for LPIC 1 you must take two exams at $100 each. This also applies to LPIC 2, for a total of 4 exams! Again the quote from LPI is:

To pass Level 1 someone should be able to
    Work at the Linux command line
    Perform easy maintenance tasks: help out users, add users to a larger system, backup & restore, shutdown & reboot
    Install and configure a workstation (including X) and connect it to a LAN, or a stand-alone PC via modem to the Internet.
    To pass Level 2 someone should be able to
    Administer a small to medium-sized site
    Plan, implement, maintain, keep consistent, secure, and troubleshoot a small mixed (MS, Linux) network, including a:
    LAN server (samba)
    Internet Gateway (firewall, proxy, mail, news)
    Internet Server (webserver, FTP server)
    Supervise assistants
    Advise management on automation and purchases
    Of course, these are just general idea, the exam objectives are clearly stated in CompTIA and LPI's site.

Some one told me last year that Linux + is aimed for technician with 6-12 months of experience whereas LPI aimed for 12-24 months of experience. I don't remembered the source but somehow those numbers pop up!

Certifications: MCSE (2K, 2K3), MCDBA, IBM CP, LPIC-1
    WIP: LPIC-2
  12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thanks for that....

but then i dont get why there is no prerequisites to LPI and Linux+ says its good to have A+ and N+? :blink
    Would someone be able to learn the skills and achieve LPI or is it out of reach for while they learning linux or learning it for a few months?

13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i thought this would interested someeone... first job i have seen where they ask for Linux+??

link