Linux Users

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ManicMonkey, Oct 7, 2007.

1. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Ok this is a call to all you Linux / Unix fans out there :)

Im starting to look at Linux as a possible solution for my works phone system (there are looking at replacing it with VOIP), so what im after is the best way to get my head around linux.

Im going to get an old box and install a version (?) of linux onto it and play with it. I have a pdf on basic installation and administration (and i mean basic) and was just wondering if anyone had any advice on material or links or just general advice.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

To get going start with Ubuntu. This seems to be good at installing almost everywhere.

You will need to get on board the following eventualy:

The different layout of the directory system. Nearly all Unixes follow some of the conventions here.

The shell - sh instead of cmd, and its incredible power. Microsoft is gradualy catching up here - but has made a hash of getting it known.

(Being controversial here) Get used to vi as an editing tool (OK - shoot me emacs enthusiasts :biggrin )

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I use Ubuntu for my desktop and Slackware for my web and mail server. If you want to get your head about the basics, I'd suggest the Linux Tutorial site. The site owner literally took a Linux tutorial book he wrote some years ago and turned it into a web accessable tutorial. Here's the gateway into the tutorial itself. Give it a whirl and see if it doesn't help.

As Harry says, you'll need a Linux machine to play with. Ubuntu is very user friendly and doesn't require any special knowledge to set up and will still give you that "old school" Linux experience since it's based on Debian (my personal favorite among distros).

EDIT: As far as text editors, I use vi (pronounced vee-eye) just because it was the first editor I learned. It's still taught because it comes will all the *nixes by default. There are a ton of others out there now with emacs being the next favorite.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. no1youknowz

no1youknowz Bit Poster

ManicMonkey, did you see my reply with the other thread you posted?? I've installed Asterisk on linux previously.

I would go with something like CentOS instead of Ubuntu personally.

Also there is NO need to get an old box to play with. Either get Vmware server or virtualbox installed on Windows XP and go from there.

Any more questions, either PM me or ask here. I'll be happy to help.

WIP: Too many to mention
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

My interpretation of MM's request is two-fold. One part has to do with using Linux for phone service but before that, it sounds like he's asking to learn the basics. Hence the suggestion to try a fairly user-friendly distro (tho CentOS is also pretty straightforward).

Just curious, no1youknowz. This is the second thread I've seen you offer help but only backchannel. Any reason that you can't post your information in a public venue? One of the reasons to post help publicly is that the rest of us benefit as well, not just the person asking the question.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. no1youknowz

no1youknowz Bit Poster

Actually, I said either PM or ask here. On a tangent; If you look at the other thread that MM posted. I gave a fairly indepth reply that I have installed Asterisk and have supported many users.

But either way, Im happy to answer any questions that MM has, PM or in public. Im not doing anything underhandedly here.

One thing I can say however. If MM is vanilla with both linux and Asterisk as a whole. I would completely suggest that he does NOT undertake installation, configuration and support of a PBX system for users. He would be completely out of his depth. A phone system is an on-demand system that needs total up-time. From first hand experience i.e getting shouted out by users and bosses, if a phone system isnt up and you are looking after it. You are in big trouble from until its back online and looking at forums/being in IRC channels begging for help/support isnt gonna get you out of a pinch quick.

My 2c there.

But if MM wants to pick my brain in setting up Asterisk on CentOS, I can post the info publicly. As I must have rebuilt CentOS over 100 times now and Asterisk about 20 lol!

WIP: Too many to mention