linux stuff

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zxspectrum, Oct 28, 2007.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

We were using a versino of linux the other day in a Uni lab session, the versino was fedora core7, and im downbloading a copy as we speak as i want to get more confidence in linix etc. But ive also found a linux suse 10 live cvd and ill have a go with that, can anyone telll me if there are major differnces between the 2 ???

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Is it just version 10 and not 10.x? Cause if it's just version 10 it's about 2 years old, so FC 7 has got approx 2 years more development on it :biggrin

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Its just suse 10, i only want to use this to obtain tyhe basics as the fedora 7 im downloading is very slow

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If you mean the differences between SUSE and Fedora, while the linux kernel will be the same (depending on the version of the OS), the interface, package management tools and some of the GUI controls and directories will vary a bit. Also, keep in mind that depending on whether you choose the Gnome or KDE desktop environments (regardless of the distribution or "distro"), how things work and feel in the GUI will be really different.

Certifications: A+ and Network+