Linux Laptop Tips from Mark Shuttleworth

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Sep 14, 2006.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Linux Laptop Tips from Mark Shuttleworth

I do use Ubuntu on my laptop, and travel a lot. My laptop is both my primary working environment and my primary development environment. I also have a desktop machine, which runs Kubuntu, and which I use for development at home over the weekends. NetworkManager is (mostly) my friend. When it works on your hardware it's a blessing, though every now and then it can get itself into a horrible jam. The primary missing feature for me, now, is the ability for it to recognise "locations" and configure printers accordingly. I'm a Thunderbird fan and use that rather than Evolution. The best tip I can give anyone is to try the Quick File extension for Thunderbird. It was developed in response to a bounty I put out some time ago, and has made my life much, much better in dealing with several thousand mail folders.

Read the rest of Shuttleworth's tips and trick on using Ubuntu on the laptop at NetworkWorld.com.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments